Friday, January 26, 2007

Hay, Hay, it's Donna Day: Guava soufflé with catupiry sauce

Guava soufflé with catupiry sauce

I’ve always wanted to take part in foodblog events – 2 months after starting the English version of my blog, I decided to do so.

Tami of Running with Tweezers is hosting “Hay, hay, it’s Donna Day” this time – she was very kind and quickly answered the email I sent her, full of questions and doubts.

I decided to use a very Brazilian recipe - Guava soufflé with catupiry sauce.
Catupiry is a popular kind of cream cheese here and it’s used in many dishes, as pizza topping, pie filling, etc.
This souffle was inspired by a dessert called “Romeo and Juliet” – guava paste served with a sort of cheese called Minas cheese, or catupiry (pictured below):

It was my first souffle, so I was quite apprehensive…
I loved its flavor and texture. But I have to be honest: the sauce was too mild in my opinion. I guess that a drop of honey would make it more interesting, without altering the color or too much of the flavor– I’ll be making this souffle again and will try to adjust the sauce to my taste.

This recipe was created by Carla Pernambuco, a wonderful Brazilian chef that has been mentioned by Patricia Wells in The New York Times.

UPDATE: a dear friend of mine told me that it's possible to make this sauce replacing the catupiry with mascarpone

Guava soufflé with catupiry sauce

Sauce:
200ml milk
100g catupiry cheese

Souffle:
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
220g creamy guava marmalade*

For the sauce: cook the milk and the catupiry in a double boiler – or use a heatproof bowl over simmering water - and beat well with a whisk until you have a smooth even sauce. Set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF.

For the souffle: beat the egg whites until soft peaks form – add the salt. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the guava marmalade to the egg whites and mix well with a whisk.Spoon the mixture into the ramekins and place on a baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until puffed – increase the oven temperature in the end of the cooking process to make the soufflés golden. Do not open the oven while cooking. Serve immediately with the cool sauce.

*You can use guava paste instead of marmalade – that’s what I used.
Chop the paste in small pieces, add a little water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until creamy and silky. Set aside to cool before using it.

Serves 4 – I halved the recipe and still got 4 ramekins, 10cm diameter each.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely, Patricia.

Valentina said...

Pat, there are loads of things that I like about this post. One of them is the guava , of course. Then there is also the fact that you use a very brazilian souffle to take part in your blog. Great choice!! ..there is also the pictures, the explanation about Carla Pernambuco...the honest narrative ..great stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, well done, Patricia! Well done!

Gattina Cheung said...

Pat,
Darling, your souffle rising high!!! While I've seen a few bloggers mentioning how theirs collasped in 30 secs, yours is truely a tall beauty!
I even love your recipe!!! I can get guava paste here, for your cheese I'll think about some Italian cheese probably works... can't wait to try!
Btw, I see a photo of a red triangle dessert, does it refer to something?

Anonymous said...

Your souffle looks great Patricia! I was watching a show on the Food Network this afternoon that featured some pretty amazing souffles too... now I have a hankering for one. :)


Now that you so graciously sent me a copy of Donna's magazine I want to participate in "Hay Hay it's Donna Hay" day! But how do I know who is hosting it, when, and what the theme is?

Ari (Baking and Books)

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Patricia, the souffle looks perfect, and I love the unique ingredients! I'm thinking of experimenting with different souffles, so you've given me some new inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Super pretty souffle :D I've never had guava in any form but raw, but I like the idea of guava marmelade! Perhaps something for me to try and make :)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Thanks for introducing us to such wonderful new ingredients! I've had guava paste, but never catupiry. So much to learn about Brazilian cuisine....

Anonymous said...

Everywhere I look, I see soufflé! Seems like everyone's participating in the challenge but me! Yours looks wonderful!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mimi, thank you!

Valentina, my dear friend, thank you for your kind words. You are such an inspiration to me, always.
I really wanted to bring a Brazilian touch to the event.

Ivonne, thank you!!

Gattina, thank you, dear!
I was running like a mad woman around the apartment, to take the photos as quickly as possible. lol
I'm glad you pointed out that some clear info on that photo was missing - it's the dessert "Romeo and Juliet" in which this souffle was inspired. I added some info there. Tks!!

Ari, I've always read about some events, but I don't know exactly how they start - I get to know about them through the blogs I red regularly.

I guess it's monthly, but don't worry - I'll find that out and send you an e-mail, so you can participate in the next edition!

Hi, T.W.,
Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it, especially because you've been a lovely regular visitor since I started my English version blog.

Ellie, I think you'll like it, dear! Maybe I should ship you a box? ;)

Lydia, I'm glad you liked these ingredients - maybe one day they'll be in your lovely pantry. :D

Nicole, it's like a souffle attack, isn't it? lol
I hope you can join in the next time!
Tks for the lovely words!

Anonymous said...

woohoo ! Great job on the souffle Patricia. I love guava, haven't had it for a long time (not readily available here in the U.S.).

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Kudos Patricia! Your souffle is beautiful. And this is your first time? You've got the knack!

I buy guavas, but oooh! the guava paste sounds fantastic. I'll have to look for it.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous souffle! I'm so impressed, especially since this is your first one. Very, very nice job!

Alpineberry Mary said...

Your souffle looks very airy. And I love your use of guava in a souffle!

Anonymous said...

That souffle looks just perfect! Look at those peaks! :) It was my first time to make a souffle for this Donna Day and boy was I nervous! Hehe :)

I have never had a guava souffle, although it's a quite common fruit where I am. It sounds like a yummy combination!

If you and Ari want to know the latest events, you can check out Is My Blog Burning which has updates on all food blogging events. For specific Donna Day updates you can check out Barbara's blog Winos and Foodies (she is the one that started Donna Day).

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tks, Veron!
You must know I have an eye on your souffle recipe. Those blackberries are very tempting.
I love guava, too and always want to try something new with it. Guava jam is one of my favorites.

Tks, Susan! It was my first time and I was so nervous. I woke up to make it and left my husband sleeping so he wouldn't distract me. :D
Guava paste is delicious, but I have to warn you: it's very sweet!

Kristen, thank you! Your comments are always so welcome!

Mary, tks for stopping by - I like your blog so much!
I love guava so much you can't imagine. :D

Hi, Joey,
Tks for visiting my blog! Yours is so beautiful - and I LOVE breakfast, too!:D
Tks for all the info, I'll let Ari know about it.

Thank you guys for the kind words!

wheresmymind said...

mmm...that souffle looks fab!

Linda said...

This looks great! Thanks so much for sharing. And those chocolate cookies! I could go on and on!

Helene said...

Gorgeous! I love anyhting with guava. Wish I could find it a little bit more easily. If only I could get my hands on your souffle!

Lia said...

Patricia,
I'm so happy you posted this recipe. I've had this souffle at Carlota in Rio and it's amazing. I absolutely love the guava and cheese combination and I always miss queijo minas so much after long trips to Brazil.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Just what a souffle should be Patricia! Excellent.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jeff, thank you!

Linda, thank you for your kind words - I'm glad you stopped by!
Chocolate is always welcome, isn't it? :D

Helene, thanks! I'm a big fan of guava, too.

Hi, Lia,
it's so nice to know you've had the original version of this recipe! I've never been to Carlota, but I'm a big fan of Carla Pernambuco.

Thank you, Tanna - I'm glad you think so!

Barbara said...

Hi Patricia - Thanks for participating in HHDD#9. This souffle looks and sounds delicious. I've never tried a guava one.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Barbara,

What an honor to receive your visit here!
And I have to say, what a marvelous event you created - I intend to take part in each and every edition from now on!

Thank you for your kind words.

nika said...

I have a bunch of guava that needs to be eaten, maybe I will give this a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks so delicious

Anonymous said...

I love guava but can be hard to find here in Australia. Interesting use of it in the souffle. Sounds great with the cheese.

WendyinKK said...

Patricia,
Need your advice on this.
My brother will be going to Brazil for a business trip, He's helping me get some Goaibada.
I've never had or seen this before, may I know what brand should he buy, preferably available in supermarkets as he will be staying in a hotel next to one. I would probably be using this to bake.

Thanks a lot,
Wendy

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Wendy,
I haven't bought goiabada in years... I'm not familiar with the brands nowadays. But tell him to look for something called "goiabada cascão" and it will be fine - and he will find that in just about any supermarket.
Good luck!

WendyinKK said...

thanks Patricia!

Related Posts with Thumbnails