Thursday, February 22, 2007

Dulce de leche brownies

Dulce de leche brownies

I don’t mean to make my dear readers rush into their kitchens in a sudden urge to bake, but these are the most delicious brownies ever!

Since I made the brownies for my sister’s birthday party, I cut them bite-sized and placed them in fluted paper cases – but I’m sure they’d be wonderful cut in larger pieces, served with ice cream. Yummy.

The brownies were a hit among the 13-year-old girls.

Recipe by David Lebovitz - he even teaches how to make your own dulce de leche at home, just click here.

Dulce de leche brownies

115g salted or unsalted butter, cut into pieces
170g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped – I used semisweet because of my “target audience”
25g unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3 large eggs
200g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
140g flour
optional: 100g toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped – I didn’t use nuts
250g dulce de leche

Preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF.
Line a 20 cm square pan with a long sheet of aluminum foil that covers the bottom and reaches up the sides. If it doesn't reach all the way up and over all four sides, cross another sheet of foil over it, making a large cross with edges that overhang the sides. Grease the bottom and sides of the foil with a bit of butter or non-stick spray.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chocolate pieces and stir constantly over very low heat until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Add in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sugar, vanilla, then the flour. Mix in the nuts, if using.
Scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan.
Drop one-third of the dulce de leche, evenly spaced, over the brownie batter, then drag a knife through to swirl it slightly. Spread the remaining brownie batter over, then drop spoonfuls of the remaining dulce de leche in dollops over the top of the brownie batter. Use a knife to swirl the dulce de leche slightly.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The brownies are done when the center feels just-slightly firm. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

David says that these brownies actually become better the second day, and will keep well for up to 3 days – I wouldn’t know because there weren’t any brownies left, and I doubled the recipe. :)

Makes 12.

This recipe was posted on the Portuguese version of my blog on Aug. 28, 2006.

18 comments:

Kirsten said...

Those look delicious!!! I adore brownies and dulce de leche, so this will be a recipe I'll try.

Thanks for posting!

Kirsten

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Oh, Patricia, my mouth is watering! My husband loves dulce de leche and brownies, so maybe I can get him to make some this weekend....

Anonymous said...

Patricia,

I love anything with chocolate so I'll take a few of these, please! I've never made anything with dulce de leche before but have heard what it is. Must try it...

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yea, those look so rich and wonderful and dulce de leche! how could it not be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my... I saw the name of your post in my bookmarks, then I saw the picture...then I saw your post! These look and sound so good!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Patricia, these look luscious! What a nice presentation to cut them into bite-sized gems in pretty paper wrapping.

Stella said...

Hi Pat!
your brownies look so tempting... Chocolate is just what I need right now!

Sara - Piperita said...

As soon as I saw your post I had a sudden urge to bake them!

Freya said...

Patricia, you are a very, very bad person! That's my diet completely evaporated now and for a Dulce du Leche Brownie - seems well worth it, if you ask me!
Freya x

Peabody said...

These are calling my name.

Gattina Cheung said...

Patricia, you're so clever! These tid-bits good to look at, easy to snack on! An excuse for me to stop at 2, but not your delicious brownies!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Kirsten, thank you!
Dulce de leche is always a winner, I love it too.

Lydia, you're so sweet, tks!
So, a husband who bakes?? That's a keeper! :)

Steven, I'd ship you a whole batch if I could!

Tanna, thanks, dear!

Kristen, they were really delicious, the girls loved the brownies!

Tks, T.W.! I love preparing the food and the candy for birthday parties. Oh, and the cake, too. :)

Hi, Valentina! Chocolate is always welcome, right? :)

Piperita, you're a wonderful baker, I'm sure you'd like these!

Freya, I know - I'm not helping us, my friend.
xoxo

Peabody, you should try them sometime.

Dear Gattina, I had to be practical, dealing with so many teenagers. lol

Linda said...

wow these look amazing. i hope mine last till the second day so I can taste them at their prime ;)

Unknown said...

I will have to imagine what they taste like!

I am drooling....

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! Thank you -- I'm gathering ingredients now.

HomeKreation said...

Hi Pat,
Many thanks for sharing. I've tried & it turned out fantastic. Check it out here:
http://homekreation-recipes.blogspot.com/2010/06/dulce-de-leche-brownies.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

I made these brownies a couple of days ago. The texture is velvety, the flavor is rich and wonderful. They are heaven in chocolate/caramel form. My husband couldn't stop eating them regardless of the fact that chocolate is not very appealing to him (more for me). I shared them with a couple of friends. Both of them ate more than they planned to because these brownies are irresistible.

Thank you very much for your generosity in posting all these delicious recipes. You make the internet and our lives a sweeter place.

Yours,

Ellen

Patricia Scarpin said...

My dear Ellen, you are so sweet and kind! I am happy to hear the brownies were such a hit. I usually bake these whenever I want to thank someone. Glad to hear it had the same effect there.

Thanks and xoxo,
Patricia.

Related Posts with Thumbnails