Monday, January 14, 2008

Double-chocolate peanut butter cookies

Double-chocolate peanut butter cookies

Chocolate is great paired with so many things: cherries, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, caramel… Not to mention the fantastic flavor one gets by combining white chocolate and citrus flavors. But I had never tried one of the most talked about pairings: chocolate and peanut butter.

I used to eat peanut butter spread on thick slices of bread as a kid but hadn’t tried it again in 20 years. Eating a spoonful of it took me back in time… It was a funny/good feeling.
I’d been meaning to try my hand at baking with peanut butter for a while (that’s why I did not eat the entire jar) and these cookies seemed the perfect way to start.

So, it’s true that chocolate and peanut butter belong together – like Aragorn and Arwen.

This recipe is a courtesy of the lovely and talented Lynn – I was out of milk chocolate chips and used white chocolate instead; even though I really liked the cookies, I think they would have been even better with milk chocolate, like Lynn’s.

Double-chocolate peanut butter cookies

Double-chocolate peanut butter cookies

168g (6oz) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped – I used 60% cocoa
2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (120g) packed dark brown sugar
¾ cup (165g) granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks/226g) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (240g) creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (335g/12oz) white chocolate chips

Arrange racks in oven to divide it into thirds. Preheat oven to 150ºC/300ºF. In a double boiler, melt the semisweet chocolate over hot, not simmering, water. Set aside to cool to about room temperature.

In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.

In a mixing bowl cream the butter and the peanut butter*. Add the sugars and beat until creamy and smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until just combined. Add the flour mixture and the milk chocolate chips, and beat until no streaks of flour are visible.

Pour the melted chocolate over the dough and drag a wooden spoon through. You want to just marbleize, not combine. Leave streaks of chocolate.

Drop the dough in 1 ½-tablespoon mounds 2 inches (5cm) apart onto ungreased baking sheets (I didn’t read this and lined my baking sheets with baking paper). Bake for 23 minutes, or until just set but still soft. Rotate the baking sheets, top to bottom, halfway through cooking. Cool on the baking sheet for 30 seconds then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

* this info was missing on the post so I added the peanut butter in the end, after the flour mixture and the chips. It worked fine.

Makes about 55 cookies – Lynn’s cookies were bigger, made with 3 tablespoons of dough

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look fabulous Patricia.
Chocolate and peanut butter are so super together - and the marbling in your cookies?! They must just taste perfect.

Peter M said...

Patricia, there would be none left if I was there. I love peanut butter and chocolate.

Anonymous said...

I want to eat them right now! They look so good!

Cheryl said...

I just made chocolate and peanut butter cookies, but they aren't the same as these beauties you made. They look fantastic.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I am all for any recipe that starts with the words "double chocolate"! As always, your cookies look delicious.

Aimée said...

That Lynn has some fabulous recipes...and knows her way around the peanut butter jar,too!
These look very decadent. Nice job!

Mallow said...

One of the best combinations ever, in my opinion! Those cookies look delicious!

test it comm said...

Peanut butter and chocolate do go well together. The thought of white chocolate and peanut butter is intriguing. I will have to try it.

Manggy said...

Hoo boy! 55 cookies? I could take the burden of calories off you and take some for myself :)

Toni said...

Double chocolate? Plus peanut butter? Oh, girl, you are wicked! And 55 of them!!!!!

Oh my......Where are my hiking boots??

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo these look so tasty. They sound like they'd be really good with white chocolate chips. I love the white chocolate/peanut butter combination.

KJ said...

Like Aragon and Arwen...LOL. Perfect description. Your biscuits look delicious too.

Anonymous said...

Food of the Gods! Chocolate and Peanut Butter....why do you tempt me so? These are going on the list for next week. :)

LyB said...

I so have to try these! My kids (and husband) will go nuts! As will my husband's co-workers, there's no way I'm trusting myself with that many cookies in the house ;)

brian said...

This sounds pretty yummy. I've never heard of a cookie that bakes at such a low temperature.

Susan said...

Is that the Tolkien fan or film buff talking in you, Patricia?

I love chocolate and PB together. I think Reese's are on to something!

Anonymous said...

Chocolate & Peanut butter is one of those pairings that don't need to think about whilst you're eating - It's just good.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, they look so soft and chewy... and peanut butter/chocolate, what a killer combination!

Cris said...

They look so good, and the combination just makes one feel like grabbing the screen to eat out of the computer Patricia!

Deborah said...

You probably already know this, but I love chocolate and peanut butter together!! These cookies would go fast in my house.

pam said...

I love chocolate and peanut butter, but I've never tried them together in a cookie!

Anonymous said...

There aren't many things in the world that I love more than peanut butter and chocolate - and these look amazing, Patricia!

Anonymous said...

Heaven! Peanut butter cookies are one of my favorites, and you've made them extra special! :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dayna, thank you! I like the marbling effect, too.

Peter, I'd make some coffee to serve with these - strong coffee like we have here in Sao Paulo.

Linda, thank you, dear!

Cheryl, I saw your beautiful peanut butter cups, I felt like grabbing them through the screen... ;)

Lydia, I agree with you, my friend. :)

Aimée, she is a fabulous baker. I feel like baking everything she posts... :)

Mallow, thank you!

Kevin, it was nice but I think milk chocolate would go better (less sweet).

Mark, I gave some of them to my friends - otherwise I'd be the size of a house or something. :)

Toni, hahaha, I should go with you! I could really use some exercising! :)

Hi, darling! I'm glad you like these! Tks!

KJ, aren't they beautiful together? I'm totally biased - I love Viggo Mortensen. :)

Nikki, I hope you try them, sweetie!

LyB, thank you for stopping by! I had to spread the cookies around, you know. Too much temptation for me. :)

Brian, really? That did not call my attention at all.

Susan, I must confess I haven't read the books - I love the films, though. I love cinema, actually. ;)

Graeme, thank you, my friend.

Hannah, they were crisp on the edges, really good!

Cris, hahaha, I bet your boys would love these.

Deb, give them a go sometime, my dear friend.

Pam, you definitely should!

Michelle, thank you, darling!

Sher, thank you!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Peanut butter and chocolate are a mtach made in heaven...double chocolate I am over the moon!!!

Thistlemoon said...

Yes, indeed this is a classic pairing!

I was just watching LOTR last night I am a huge rings geek. :)

One Food Guy said...

OMG, these cookies sound so good. Pour me a tall glass of milk and give me a couple of these cookies and I'm good to go!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

These sound perfect Patricia. Thanks for the link to Lynn's blog, I got lost in there reading for a while - it's also superb!

Jaime said...

i love PB and chocolate! these cookies look tasty!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Patricia, you are so sweet. Thanks for the nice comments and I apologize for the poor instructions! Your cookies look just wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails