Friday, February 6, 2009

Banana-oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Banana-oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

I started listening to Smiths at the age of 9 and even though I understood nothing Morrissey said those songs made a strange kind of sense to me – I ended up learning why later on in life. Music became a huge part of my days and brought me comfort in several bad moments.

Besides listening to the songs, I loved checking out the LP covers – some were absolutely fantastic. I became obsessed about one in particular – Whitesnake’s “Slide it in” – which is really funny, since I’ve always hated snakes. The 13 year-old me could not resist David Coverdale singing – to this day I think he has the most beautiful male voice ever.

Another one of my obsessions is baking cookies, but that you already know. These are from Liz’s gorgeous blog.

Banana-oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Banana-oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

1 ¾ cup (200g) quick-cooking rolled oats – I used thin rolled oats
1 ½ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (175g) firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (170g/6 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
1 medium-sized ripe but firm banana, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 cup coarsely chopped whole almonds

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF; Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.

In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars at medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until blended. At low speed, add the flour mixture one-third at a time, mixing just until blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the semisweet morsels, banana, and almonds (it’s all right if the banana pieces get a little mashed) – I incorporated everything in the mixer in the lowest speed.

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonsfuls* onto the prepared sheets, spacing the cookies 5cm (2 inches) apart. Moisten your palm to prevent sticking and flatten the mounds of dough slightly. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 11 to 13 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom – mine needed 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.

Makes about 52 cookies

* I used 1 ½ heaping tablespoons of dough per cookie and got 34.

20 comments:

LyB said...

I've never tried using bananas in cookies, that's a great idea! I could use one of those right now, I feel a chocolate chip cookie craving coming on! :)

Anonymous said...

Bananas are awesome in chocolate chip cookies! I still get requests for my chunky monkey cookies - basically a chocolate chip cookie with chunks of banana and walnut in it, based off the Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor. I like the idea of using oatmeal, too...you could easily get away with eating them for breakfast that way. ;)

Anonymous said...

These cookies look divine ... I'm game for anything that uses bananas.

cindy* said...

yum! these photos are great and banana + chocolate is always good.

Susan @ SGCC said...

These cookies look terrific! Bananas, oatmeal and chocolate go so well together. Great minds must think alike, because I have some oatmeal cookies in the oven right now!

Deeba PAB said...

Never used bananas in CCC before...& yours look rocking good. I used to love looking at LP covers too; magical moments. Too bad Lps are a thing of the past now. The pictures are gorgeous too Pat!

Anonymous said...

Your cookies look wonderful. I bet they taste like mini banana bread loafs. Great Idea!

Andrea said...

My fiance loves the Smiths. He'd also love these cookies. So would I!

Chris said...

Very nice photos. I bet these will become an old standby one day; the ingredients are a great combination that some people might not have tried before but I'm sure will love.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah...love these cookies! the combination of oatmeal, banana and chocolate chips is satisfying!

Abby said...

Oh, yum. I love bananas and chocolate!

Snooky doodle said...

these cookies look so good. I love oatmeal and combined with banana and almonds are so good!!

pam said...

I always put chocolate chips in my oatmeal cookies, I would have never thought to use bananas!

Ash said...

wow, a banana cookie! Plus oatmeal and choc chips! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I saw this! I have bananas waiting. Score! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh fabulous!

cheers,

*heather*

KJ said...

I've never used bananas in biscuits. It's an intriguing idea. I would love to try one of these!!

Anonymous said...

Recently made banana choco chip cookies and am loving the oatmeal in these. And thanks for the reminder that music is important. Too often now, it's silence I crave even though music can provide an entire sense of quiet in and of itself.

Patricia Scarpin said...

LyB, it was my first time, too! And I really liked the result.

Anna, I think you are right! :D

Cooking Ninja, I love bananas, too. :D
Tks!

Cindy, thank you!

Susan, great minds do think alike! :D
xx

Deeba, thank you, sweetie!

Chuck, tks for stopping by!

Andrea, I bet you two would! :D

Chris, and a great way of using ripe bananas! :D

Liz, darling, these are fabulous! Tks for sharing!

Abby, I think they are great together!

Natalie, and oats are good for you! :D

Pam, it is a nice touch!

Ash, tks for visiting!

Teri, thank you for stopping by! I hope you like these!

Heather, thank you!

KJ, it was my first time, too, and I loved it!

Kelly, music can turn bad days into good ones! And so can cookies. :D

Nama said...

These look delicious! Can't wait to try them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails