Friday, May 15, 2009

Potato soufflés

Potato soufflés / Suflê de batata

I have a confession to make... I’ve watched “Twilight” and thought it was cute. :D

My friend told me she was going to see the movie and I acted like a fool – even joked about teen movies and such. After she told me how much she’d liked it, I decided to give it a try... and here I am now, feeling stupid for my prejudices. But I must say, in my defense, that Paramore is one of the things that put me off the movie. :D

If that hadn’t been a good lesson for me, here’s another one: I saw this recipe months ago and wondered how a simple potato soufflé could be good... Even though I love potatoes, a soufflé without other flavors added sounded too bland.

Guess what? I was wrong, again. :)

Potato soufflés / Suflê de batata

Potato soufflés
from Donna Hay magazine

melted butter, for brushing
1kg sebago (starchy) potatoes, peeled and chopped
100g butter
salt and black pepper
60g butter, extra
¼ cup (35g) all purpose flour
1 cup (240ml) milk
3 egg yolks
1 cup (100g) finely grated parmesan
5 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºC. Brush 4 x 1 ¼ capacity (310ml) ovenproof dishes with melted butter, using upward brush strokes to help the soufflé raise; set aside.
Place the potato in a saucepan of cold salted water over high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the pan. Roughly mash the potato, add the butter, salt and pepper and mash until smooth. Set aside.
Melt the extra butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture is sandy texture. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until thick. Place in a bowl with the mashed potato, egg yolks and cheese and mix to combine. Place the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold through potato mixture. Spoon into the buttered dishes, place on a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Serve immediately.

Serves 4

14 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

It looks yummy!!

I've been anti-Twilight so far too... I might have to watch it just to prove myself right or wrong. Lol ;P

Kitchen 37B said...

I've been thinking about Souffles all week but I was worried that I might mess it up. A Potato Souffle huh? You make look so appetizing! Another one on my long list of need-to-trys :)

Dewi said...

Your Potato soufflés sounds so delicious Patricia!

Snooky doodle said...

nice souffles :) yummy!

Manggy said...

Hee! To be fair I probably would have been put off by potato souffle too, but yours does look good, and with enough salt and pepper, it's a match made in heaven :)

... But I still won't watch Twilight! It's just not my genre :)

Emily said...

I've never made a souffle before. :( A potato one sounds amazing.

I liked Twilight the book. The movie, not so much. But I'm very cynical.

eatme_delicious said...

Yum no way I could turn this down!!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Potatoes, cheese and butter? What's not to love?!

halo said...

your blog continues to amaze me...I just love the recipes you pick!
BTW, absolutely adored the cheese pinwheel (chevre) scones...mmm!
thanks so much,
Janice

Elyse said...

Sorry that I’ve been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader. These potato souffles look amazing!! I'm so glad the movie and the souffles both changed your mind :)

Ash said...

I loved the movie too, I think you should add the books to you're reading list! They are amazing! I was anti-twilight before... now I'm verging on obsessed. lol

Patricia Scarpin said...

How to eat..., thank you!
Maybe you'll have the same reaction I did. :D

Pia, this one here is not difficult, I think you can pull it off!

Elra, thank you for stopping by!

Natalie, thank you, sweetie!

Mark, and some parmesan to make things even better. :D
As for the movie, I thought it was a teen horror movie but it's pure romance. Lovely!

Emily, I haven't made many soufflés and thought this was not so difficult.
I need to take a look at the books.

Ashley, thank you, dear!

Lydia, I agree! :D
Thank you!

Janice, thank you for visiting and for you kind words! I'm so glad to hear you like that recipe!
xx

Elyse, it's great to see you back, sweetie! I'm glad to know you are free from the exams. :D
Thank you!

Ash, I'm willing to get my hands on the books. :D

Deborah said...

I haven't seen Twilight yet - but I will be having a girls night in with my sisters soon to see it! These look delicious!!

Rumela said...

Thanks a lot. This is an interesting recipe. At last I have found something interesting and unique to serve to my guests during the holidays. I am sure that they'll love this potato souffle. thank you for shearing your post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails