Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pear crumble

Pear crumble / Crumble de pêra

Like my friend Tina wrote on another post, “Spring?” – the cloudy sky and continuous rain here in Sao Paulo look a lot more like fall.

To warm up these cold days, something delicious and easy: crumble. I used two different recipes from DH mag to create this pear version – one of the original recipes called for apples and looked wonderful, too.

Pear crumble / Crumble de pêra

Pear crumble
adapted from Donna Hay magazine

3 Packham pears, peeled, cored and chopped in 2cm pieces
¼ cup (50g) caster sugar*
juice of 1 lime
¼ cup (60ml) water
½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Topping:
¾ cup (105g) all purpose flour
¼ cup (50g) caster sugar
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (70g) unsalted butter, slightly cold

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Place the pears, sugar, lime juice, water, vanilla (seeds + bean) and cinnamon in a medium saucepan and mix to combine. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until pears are soft and liquid is syrupy. Remove from heat. Spoon the pear mixture into two 1 cup-capacity (240ml) ovenproof dishes.

Make the topping: place all the ingredients in a bowl and, using your fingertips, rub them together until mixture resemble breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the pear mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until golden.

* the pears I used were very ripe, that’s why I only used ¼ cup of sugar

Serves 2 (generously)

14 comments:

Manggy said...

Well, it's not so bad- at least you're "in sync" with the Northern Hemisphere, ha ha ha :) I would love to dig into one of those! :)

Valerie Gamine said...

Pears are a nice twist on an Autumn dessert as an apple substitute. This looks so enticing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia
I love ur blog. I was reading online that you are the Madeleines Queen.I have been wanting to bake madeleines for years and just was so worried they were too tricky.

i tried emailing you but i couldnt. I did one of the madeleine recipes and followed instructions ecaxtly and as soon as they were i the oven for few minutes the edges were so burnt.
Can you let me know how to avoid that ?? did i over butter the pan ? did i leave it in the fridge for too long ?
thank you for you help

Maha
Maha_zaki68@hotmail.com

Mimi said...

What a delicious looking crisp. Since pears are in season here, it would make a lovely autumn dessert.
Mimi

Valérie I♥Cakes said...

Your photos are so lovely ! It's always a pleasure to visit your blog and read your latest recipe :o)

Barbara said...

Aren't pears wonderful right now? I was trying out a new recipe today with pears- and have 3 left over. Going to make a small version of your crumble!

Cynthia said...

Why have I not tried this before. Can't wait to have some pears.

Ash said...

I like this twist with the pears!
A nice little comfort dish!

Anonymous said...

This made me instantly hungry - would love to try this one out.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... I adore crips. Pear sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... I adore crips. Pear sounds yummy!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mark, you are right - I've just came back from London, maybe that's why. ;)
Thank you!

Valerina, thank you!

Maha, maybe that happened because the oven was too hot - are you using non-stick pans, black ones? Because those tend to make much darker madeleines. Which recipe did you make? Give me more details, let's try to figure this out together.

Mimi, thank you!

Valérie, darling, thank you! So are yours! :D

Barbara, I hope you enjoy it, dearie!

Cynthia, I'm sure you'd like it. ;)

Ash, very comforting, indeed!

Alicia, it's really good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. ;)
Tks!

Michelle, pears are wonderful, don't you think?
Thank you!

Maha said...

Hi Patricia
Its Maha again
I did use a non stick Teflon pan . I am going to buy different pans from amazon, but these pans were the only madeleiens pans i could find in Kuwait, where i live.
as for the recipe, this is what i used
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon BP
1/8 teaspoonsalt
3eggs
2/3cups sugar
lemon zest.
I did refrigerate the batter overnight in the fridge. I also buttered and floured the pans. I didnt get the hump aslo which is supposedly what the madeleiens are famous four.

I will give madeleines a seconed try , using the recipes you have tried. Do you recommend a certain recipe?

Thank you for your help , and sorry i keep posting about madeleines in a non related topic.
Great blog and the photos you take are awsome.. everything looks Yummy
Maha

Sports Picks said...

I like this twist with the pears!
A nice little comfort dish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails