Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dark chocolate, cinnamon and hazelnut truffles

Chocolate, cinnamon and hazelnut truffles / Trufas de chocolate, canela e avelã

A quick look at my sweet recipe index and you'll notice that I don’t make truffles very often – I love working with chocolate, but mostly stick with cookies and cakes. To me, truffles are such a special treat they call for a special occasion as well – like that gorgeous pair of shoes you’ll only wear on your birthday or anniversary. :)

These were made for a special someone, a dear friend of mine who happens to be crazy about shoes, too – let’s just say that her last name could pretty much be Bradshaw. :)

Chocolate, cinnamon and hazelnut truffles / Trufas de chocolate, canela e avelã

Dark chocolate, cinnamon and hazelnut truffles
from Donna Hay magazine

450g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
1 ¼ cups (300ml) heavy cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
40 hazelnuts, roasted*
1 cup (90g) cocoa powder

Place the chocolate, cream and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Pour into a lightly buttered 1 liter-capacity dish and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm enough to roll.
Roll teaspoonfuls of the mixture into rough balls. Press a hazelnut into the middle and roll to enclose.
Place the cocoa on a baking tray, place the truffles on the tray and gently shake to coat.

* place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Place the hot hazelnuts in the fold of a tea towel and rub back and forth to remove the skins.

Makes 40 – I halved the recipe and got 25 truffles

12 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow, these look decadent! I've been wanting to make some truffles for a while now and this recipe looks simply divine!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

These look lovely Patricia. Be good to have some extra sweets around the holidays.

pam said...

Boy, do I wish I lived close by you. I could be your bff (Ilike shoes)!

Anonymous said...

Ohmegod!!!!! Bradshaw is soooo my number, as much as these truffles...you are the sweetest and I luv u very much :) thanks for being so close.

Carol B said...

OMG. These look so sinfully divine. I had no idea truffles were that easy to make. I've never seen a truffle recipe before. (I turn on my oven about 3 times a year.)

Valerie Gamine said...

It's amazing how so few an amount of ingredients can produce such lovely and rich results!

Alexa said...

Patricia,
I love the contrast in texture that you have here by inserting a hazelnut in the middle--What a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

My goodness they look so decadent - I have a bad feeling that if I made these I would eat them all!

Valérie I♥Cakes said...

Your truffles are just perfect, I love chocolate and nuts together ! I think they'll be a part of my "paniers gourmands de Noël" (meaning my sweet Christmas gifts)

Lisa said...

Lovely and delicious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Rachael, thank you! I hope you give these a go!

Pete, thank you!

Pam, I would love to have you as my neighbor, my dear.
xx

C., my dear, thank you, too!
xx

Carol B., thank you! They are easy and the recipe calls for just a few ingredients... :)

Valerina, you are so right!

Alexa, thank you! I think the hazelnuts add both flavor and texture here.

Alicia, I shipped them right away, dearie! ;)

Valérie, thank you, darling! I hope your loved ones like the truffles!

Lisa, thank you!

desperate.viz said...

absolutely AMAZING!

I need to do some 5 varieties of truffles and this is noted!

i really enjoy your blog, great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails