Friday, September 3, 2010

Cinnamon crumb muffins + and some movie spoilers

Cinnamon crumb muffins / Muffins de canela com farofinha de canela

Even though “The Hurt Locker” is not part of my all time favorite movies list and the Oscars are never fair, I have to say that it was wonderful seeing Kathryn Bigelow winning the award – for being a woman and for winning it over James Cameron. :D

But I have to complain about something and if you haven’t watched the movie yet, please, go straight to the recipe:









***









How could she get Ralph Fiennes *sigh* and Guy Pierce killed so quickly? That was such a waste! You should have seen the look on my face while watching the movie... :S

That reminds me of this recipe: if I’m going to make cinnamon muffins, there will be A LOT of cinnamon on them – otherwise, why bother? :)

Cinnamon crumb muffins
adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours

Streusel:
½ cup (70g) all purpose flour
½ cup (88g) light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 tablespoons (70g) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits

Muffins:
2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
½ cup (100g) caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup (44g) light brown sugar, packed
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
¾ cup (180ml) whole milk
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

Start by making the streusel: Mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside in the refrigerator for the moment.

Now, the muffins: in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the brown sugar, making certain there are no lumps. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract together until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with a fork, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don't worry about being thorough--the batter will be lumpy, and that is just the way it should be.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle some streusel over each muffin, then use your fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

Makes 12 – I halved the recipe above, used 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans and got 7 muffins

13 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Cute looking muffins, stunning clicks..

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I haven't seen the movie yet but I never minded spoilers much 8). Streusel muffins are a favorite that I haven't made for myself in a long time. Yours look very satisfying.

Katie said...

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum! Enough said :)

Paula said...

everything with cinnamon is great :) yum

Satya said...

muffins looks very inviting ...love the flavors n combo

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Bakericious said...

looks good, I love anything with crumbly topping.

Abby said...

I thought the SAME THING. I guess she just wanted their names in billing to drum up interest?

Gorgeous muffins! I'm so ready for fall.

Abby said...

I thought the SAME THING. I guess she just wanted their names in billing to drum up interest?

Gorgeous muffins! I'm so ready for fall.

Kristen said...

Such a gorgeous picture, Patricia, and a lovely sounding recipe!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said...

haha, i know what you mean - I love both Guy Pierce & Ralph Fiennes. I loved Jeremy Renner as well, though :)

I also love anything with cinnamon, so these look amazing. And I agree - go hard or go home when using cinnamon :)

Heidi xo

Patricia Scarpin said...

Priya, thank you!

Xiaolu, maybe now you won't feel like watching it. :)
Thank you, sweetie!

Katie, thank you!
xoxo

Paula, I agree! :)

Satya, thank you!

Jess, thank you! I love those toppings, too. :)

Abby, so we would watch it in the first place! :)
I cannot wait for spring. :)
xx

Kristen, thank you, dear!

Heidi, Jeremy Renner was good, too! But Ralph... *sigh* :)
Thank you, sweetie!
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the great recipe, I made a few changes for a cinnamon / chocolate version. Wasn't pretty, but still!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi!
Thank YOU for letting me know you made them! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails