Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Banana walnut cake (with quinoa flour)

Banana walnut cake (with quinua flour) / Bolo de banana e nozes (com farinha de quinua)

As I previously told you, I’ve been having fun baking with different kinds of flour – and there’s a lot to come, I guarantee. :D

As for this cake, it is really good – my sister loved it – but hasn’t dethroned my favorite banana cake. I found the walnuts a bit bitter after being toasted twice – I’m using sliced almonds next time I make this recipe.

Banana walnut cake
from Good to the Grain

2 cups (210g) walnut pieces
½ cup (60g) quinoa flour
1 cup (140g) all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (113g/1 stick) cold unsalted butter, chopped into 1.25cm (½in) pieces
½ cup (88g) dark brown sugar, packed
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
3 ripe bananas, whole
2 eggs
1/3 cup (87g) sour cream – I used plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 180°C/350°F. Butter a 23cm (9in) round cake pan.
Measure the walnuts onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven until light golden-brown and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring back into the bowl any bits of grain or other ingredient that may remain in the sifter. Set aside. Grind 1 cup of the toasted walnuts in a food processor, about 15 seconds. With a sharp knife, finely chop the remaining cup of walnuts and reserve – the chopped nuts will be added later as a topping.
Add the butter and sugars to the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the bananas and mix on medium for 30 seconds or until the bananas are broken down. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined. Again, scrape the sides of the bowl.
Add the ground walnuts and the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until combined; remove the bowl from the mixer and finish mixing using a spatula, until smooth.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the reserved walnuts and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan.
Wrapped in plastic, the cake can be kept for up to 3 days.

Serves 8 – I made 2/3 of the recipe above and used a round 20cm (8in) cake pan

19 comments:

Yours Truly said...

how would you compare it to a regular APF cake? I am planning to switch my diet to a gluten free, and i know quinoa flour is GF. the cake looks amazing !

Rachel said...

Sounds good!
Do you know if you can make quinoa flour by grinding up quinoa like you can with oats/oat flour?
I'd like to try it but I don't really have room for too many specialty flours in my kitchen.

The Urban Baker said...

I love baking with Quinoa flour! This looks absolutely delicious, Patricia! And I don't even like bananas!

WendyinKK said...

I've got a bunch of special flours in my pantry now.
Just tried out 2 varieties.
I can't wait to see your other bakes.

Zoe said...

Have tried making your fav banana cake. This one sounds really good. Will try to get quinoa flour first.

naomi said...

I have yet to try quinoa flour. But this cake looks amazing and Ican't wait to see what other flours you willbe baking with!

Cherine said...

A wonderful cake!!

Katie said...

Looks delicious and very nutty. I love your idea of suing almonds next time. I bet pecans would be great too. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for quinoa flour - thats a new one to me

Priya Suresh said...

Awesome and beautiful looking cake..

Karen said...

Wow, this cake looks fabulous! Walnuts and bananas are such a great combo. I bet this is delicious with nice a cup of tea. :-)

Cynthia said...

You are responsible for me eating too many sweet things! :)

Joyti said...

Wow, this sounds SO incredible! And it looks so comforting and delicious too.

Jessica said...

Love the blog! Especially the Cinnamon Candy Canes you posted last December. Yummmm!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Ah, I was drooling over this book the other week at the store. So gorgeous... This cake sounds quite delish. Can never have enough tasty cake recipes :).

Bakericious said...

pretty looking cake, hope to have a slice now.

Patty said...

Lovely cake P! Happy to see you're having fun with quinoa - I love adding healthy whole grains/seeds into my goods.

I find walnuts to be delicate and quick to toast, so I always add them to baked goods raw, and as long as they're fresh they end up tasting wonderful in the end product. I think this cake would be great if made with raw walnuts. :)

Jennifer said...

I love the use of quinoa flour here and ALL the walnut goodness! yum!

Viv said...

looking at the ingredients, i know i would LOVE this cake. good on u for trying different flours. ive yet to use quinoa flour yet...def healthier...and i love how you used yoghurt instead of the sour cream!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tamanna, it was a bit heavier, but not in a bad way. I'm not sure how it would be with quinoa flour only, though...
Good luck and thank you!

Rachel, I do not know... I bought it already in flour form. :S

Susan, thank you, my dear! I cannot wait to bake with quinoa again!
xx

Wendy, there's a lot to come! :D
Thank you!

Zoe, did you like the other cake?

Naomi, I hope you like it! Thank you!

Cherine, tks for stopping by!

Katie, yum, pecans! Great idea, sweetie!

Priya, thank you!

Karen, tks for stopping by! It goes really well with tea, indeed! ;D

Cynthia, I'm sorry, my dear! ;D

Indie.Tea, tks for stopping by!

Paper and Food, tks for stopping by! Those cookies were a hit at work. :D

Xiaolu, it is full of breathtaking photos! I'm glad you like the cake, sweetie!
xx

Jess, I wish I could share it with you!

Patty, thank you, lovely! I'll be adding the nuts raw next time - great idea!

Jen, thank you, sweetie!

Vivienne, tks for stopping by! Sour cream is impossible to find here in Brazil, so yogurt is always my choice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails