Monday, December 6, 2010

Eggnog ice cream

Eggnog ice cream / Sorvete de eggnog

Is there a better way to start something than starting it with ice cream? I thought so. ;)

My Christmas series has begun and I hope you enjoy the ideas for your holidays; David Lebovitz says that this ice cream goes wonderful with holiday desserts – and I believe him – but you must know that it goes well with just a sprinkling of freshly ground nutmeg, too.

Just make sure you read the amounts of booze before preparing the recipe – I don’t want to be accused of making everyone drunk with ice cream... ;)

Eggnog ice cream
from The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments

1 cup (240ml) whole milk
2/3 cup (133g) caster sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
6 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream to cool. Mix in the nutmeg, brandy, rum and vanilla and stir until cool over an ice bath – I just let it cool over the counter, then refrigerated it.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Once the mixture is cold, taste it and grate in more nutmeg if you wish. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes about 1 liter (1 quart)

14 comments:

My Little Expat Kitchen said...

What a great idea! The more booze the better if you ask me ;)
Magda

Katrin said...

What a beautiful picture!

Heathercicle said...

Eggnog ice cream has to be the best invention ever. <3 Next weekend, this will be made and it will be loved.

Sophia said...

Eggnog was never my favorite Christmas drink, but I think the idea of adding it to ice cream is genius! Your picture looks awesome too!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm this sounds fab. Makes me think of the killer eggnog my boyfriend's stepmom makes.

Karen said...

This looks sublime! My husband loves eggnog, so I know what I'll be making soon. :-)

Anh said...

this is real beauty, Pat!

Lynn said...

I've never tried eggnog, but this looks too good not to try!

Jun said...

Great idea! And the photos are really good!

Abby said...

My husband LOVES egg nog (but I've never actually had it. Weird, huh? He buys it; I let him drink it!) But ice cream? I'd give that a shot!

Katie said...

Beautifully presented, so festive! I've never tasted egg nog but love the flavours you've used

vanillasugarblog said...

good god that sounds good!

Kimberley said...

This, I think, might be better than eggnog itself!

Delishhh said...

oh my - egg nog and icecream. How can you go wrong. I have a huge container of eggnog at home and going to make this. YUM!

Related Posts with Thumbnails