Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Apple and pecan sheet cake with lime icing

Apple sheet cake with lime icing / Bolo de maçã com cobertura de limão

My name is Patricia but you can call me The Apple (Crazy?) Lady. ;)

After last fall’s endless list of apple recipes, I’ve started again – and my plan is to enjoy the pears as much as the apples this year.

This cake is moist, delicious, with a nice molasses hint from the demerara sugar. The original recipe called for caramel sauce as a topping for the cake, but I thought that something less sweet would be better and made a lime icing instead - not that I need an excuse to add citrus flavors to my baked goods and desserts... ;)

Apple and pecan sheet cake with lime icing
adapted from the great The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh

Cake:
2 cups (400g) demerara sugar
½ cup + 2 tablespoons (140g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
scant ½ teaspoon salt
600g (about 3) Granny Smith apples, coarsely grated – don’t bother peeling them
1 cup (110g) pecans, toasted, cooled and chopped

Lime icing:
2 cups (280g) icing sugar
finely grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons lime juice

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F; butter and flour a 32.5x22.5x5cm (13x9x2in) metal baking pan*.
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt and beat just until combined. Stir in the apples and pecans – batter will be stiff. Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
Bake until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool cake completely in the pan over a wire rack.
Make the icing: sift the sugar into a medium bowl and add the zest and juice. Mix until smooth and spreadable, adding a little water if necessary. Spread over the cooled cake and set aside until firm, 20 minutes. Cut in squares to serve.

* I made the exact recipe above using a 20x30cm (8x12in) pan

Serves 15

10 comments:

Katie said...

Me too I'm apple crazy!! Can't get enough of them, especially in baked goodies such as this with lots of spice mmmmmm. Looks divine. Share away :)

veron said...

Ha, I'm apple crazy too. too sad the season here in the U.S. is over I'd love to just bake apple desserts!

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't be apple crazy with a cake like yours??? It looks delicious!

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic cake..

Debbie said...

Wow...apples, pecans and lime icing...this sounds wonderful. Can't wait to make it!

kimberlycun said...

i think the lime icing is a fantastic idea!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

Patricia,

I love apples too, but I've never thought of pairing them with lime, but I am sure going to give it a try--my two favorites together on one plate. It looks and sounds truly delicious. Another unique and interesting recipe...I love it!

Kimberly said...

I love the lime icing idea. I can't wait for apple season to come upon New York again.

Andrea said...

I love to bake with apples and pears and this cake looks delicious. Lime icing is something completely new to me, so I have to give it a try sometimes. Everything sounds and looks so delicious. :)

Mutfak Havlusu said...

"My name is Patricia but you can call me The Apple (Crazy?) Lady. ;)"
when i red i remembered my friend!She is from spain her name is Patricia:-)she is crazy and nice person!
i liked your recipe,it is seeming delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails