Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tangerine chocolate marble cake with tangerine icing

Tangerine chocolate marble cake with tangerine icing / Bolo mármore de tangerina e chocolate com cobertura de tangerina

I keep telling you about recipes that go wrong and how I do not give up on them. This cake is sort of an example: I made the chocolate orange marble cake from DH mag (#44) and it turned out miserable - an 8-cup capacity pan would not hold that much batter, but I insisted on trusting the recipe. I ended up tossing the whole cake. :(

I decided to make it again – I adore marble cakes – and used a slightly different recipe (same source, though) and a larger pan. Tangerines replaced oranges and went along with the chocolate batter. The cake turned out delicious.

Still on the “not-giving-up-mood”, I finished watching “In Bruges” – I cannot believe how wrong I was. The movie is great and went straight to my list. ;)

Tangerine chocolate marble cake with tangerine icing
slightly adapted from the always wonderful and foolproof Modern Classics Book 2

Cake:
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups + 1 tablespoon (278g) superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 ¼ cups (315g) all purpose flour
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup (240ml) whole milk, room temperature
¼ cup (23g) cocoa powder, sifted
finely grated zest of 3 tangerines
2 tablespoons superfine sugar, extra
1 tablespoon whole milk, extra

Icing:
1 cup (140g) icing sugar
1 tablespoon tangerine juice, more if necessary

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter generously a 10-cup capacity Bundt pan.
Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally). Sift the flour, baking powder and salt over the butter mixture and fold through with the milk. Pour half of the batter into another bowl and add the tangerine zest. To the other bowl, add the cocoa, extra milk and sugar and stir to combine. Drop alternate spoonfuls of the two batters into the prepared pan, the swirl lightly with a butter knife to give the cake a marbled effect. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes then carefully unmold onto a wire rack (if using a silicone pan follow the manufacturer’s instructions). Cool completely.
Make the icing: sift the icing sugar into a small bowl. Add the tangerine juice and mix until spreadable consistency. Spread over the cake.

Serves 10-12

16 comments:

martina said...

I'm so happy you give it another go! I've told you, it's a great movie.
Very glad you change your mind :)
By the way... your list is great and I will use it for inspiration when looking for a good one to watch. I've already seen a lot, but I missed something good for sure. thanks
Martina

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Gorgeous cake! I love the combination of chocolate and orange.

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

That cake looks so beautiful! Love the orange and chocolate combo, I bet it tastes as great as it looks :D

Emme @Food Samba said...

Delicia! And I love the pan shape - beautiful! I wish I was patient and persistent, especially when it comes to baking. Lol!

Christine said...

Oh this looks so beautiful, I just want to eat it now!

Sashquatch said...

oh wow what a beautiful cake! It looks like a piece of art! There are few combinations i love more than chocolate and orange so this is definitively being saved! Thank you lots, lovely post as ever

tinytearoom said...

you are too good to give it another go. Once a recipe doesn't work for me and I followed each step carefully i throw my hands up in the air and try for an entire week to forget it. Good on you for soldiering on.

Tangerine, chocolate and vanilla sound like a delicious match.

Unknown said...

Kek harika gözüküyor,ellerinize sağlık..
Sevgilerimle..

Sil BsAs said...

Looks lovely! and i LOVE that mold... I must try it since we are in full tangerine season!

Rivki Locker said...

Glad you didn't give up. I admire people who persevere - I almost never do. This looks perfect.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Martina, I wanted to finish watching the movie especially because of your comment on that post! Thank YOU for letting me know how you felt about the movie! :D
xx

Tamaravvo said...

Вау! Какая же красота!!! А как должно быть вкусно!!!

Unknown said...

Made this on sunday and we loved it. My mum said it was her fav cake I've made. Thanks so much!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

That is excellent news, Antonietta! Thank YOU for letting me know how the cake turned out!
xx

Anonymous said...

Delicious cake! Made it yesterday! Wonderful receipt Patricia! Congratulations!
Evi

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Evi, thank you for letting me know how the cake turned out! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails