Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Meatballs – Jamie’s and mine

Meatballs - Jamie's and mine / Almôndegas - do Jamie e minhas

I’ve been making these meatballs for so long I cannot remember when the first time was – they’re one of my husband’s favorites (and he doesn’t have that many favorite dishes). They’re delicious with both pasta and rice, but lately Joao’s been eating them in sandwich form – very Joey Tribbiani. :)

Adapted from one of Jamie’s recipes, found on this blog.

Meatballs – Jamie’s and mine
adapted from The Naked Chef

500g ground beef
2 teaspoons dried oregano
a couple of splashes of Tabasco
1 teaspoon table salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I use a lot)
½ teaspoon garlic infused olive oil (or use regular olive oil + 1 garlic clove, minced)
1 large egg
1/3 cup homemade breadcrumbs + about 1/3 cup extra to roll the meatballs
½ large onion, processed*
generous handful of flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a large baking sheet with a double layer of foil. Brush the foil with vegetable oil.
Place the beef, dried oregano, Tabasco, salt, black pepper, olive oil (and garlic, if using), egg, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs , onion and parsley in a large bowl and mix to combine (I prefer to use my hand to do that). Try to shape some of the mixture into a ball – if too wet, add 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs and mix again. Grab 1 ½ tablespoons of the mixture and shape into compact balls (the job becomes easier if you lightly wet the palms of your hands). Roll the meatballs in the extra breadcrumbs. Place the meatballs onto the prepared sheet and bake until firm and cooked through (about 40 minutes).
Serve with tomato sauce.

* I’ve tried this recipe with chopped, processed and grated onions and to me the best way of using them is processed – chopped with a knife the onion pieces are too large (which makes rolling the meatballs more difficult) and grated the onion becomes too wet

Makes about 25

9 comments:

Alex Radhose said...

I've never tried to add oregano. Don't know why. Mincemeat and oregano mix is so obvious :)

Priya Suresh said...

Flavourful meat balls..

Ali said...

yummy, never tried with sandwich though :) i love mine served with rice. Nice photo :)

thingsforboys said...

Love your skillet! I have the set too. These sounds great. Meatballs are so delicious!

kankana said...

I really like how crisp and clear ur photo looks and that skillet is so gorgeous. I love meatballs any time.

The Cook said...

Whoa, hello. Details on the skillet please!

argone said...

I love meatballs with pasta ... Nigella's are cool too !

Michelle said...

I'm so hungry after looking at your blog!

Lynda @ TasteFood said...

This is lovely for a weeknight. Nice photo!

Related Posts with Thumbnails