Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Roasted tomato soup with pesto

Roasted tomato soup with pesto / Sopa de tomates assados com pesto

I haven’t been to the movies since “Hugo”, but I did watch a fantastic movie at home, “No Country for Old Men”: to me the Coen brothers are an acquired taste – they’re like anchovies, you’ll learn to love them eventually; I don’t like “Fargo” but love “The Man Who Wasn’t There”, “O Brother, Where Art Thou” and “True Grit”, therefore I decided it was about time I watched “No Country for Old Men” – that movie proves that a great plot can lock the viewer in their seat (I wouldn’t have left the room for nothing in this world!) and that the good old formula of good script, director and cast still is unbeatable. It’s the second amazing movie I've watched based on Cormac McCarthy’s books – the other being “The Road”; I think it’s time I read some of his work, too.

***

Most people I know love summer days but to me 30°C/86°F (or over) days are dreadful – sleeping gets difficult, exercising is even worse, I feel dizzy and tired. That is why I hope the fall temperatures arrive soon around here, and I even made some soup to celebrate the new season, enjoying the last tomatoes at the same time (I still want to make a tomato tarte tatin). Though not pictured, I served the soup with Barbara Lynch’s irresistible crispy grilled cheese – those of you who have tried it know what I mean. :)

Roasted tomato soup with pesto
adapted from two delicious books: Fresh from the Market and From Season to Season (mine was bought here)

700g ripe Italian tomatoes (about 6 large tomatoes)
2-3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
5-6 fresh thyme sprigs
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ large onion, finely chopped
1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon sugar
1-2 tablespoons pesto sauce

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a roasting pan – one that holds all the tomatoes – with foil.
Halve the tomatoes lengthwise and place them, cut side up, into the prepared pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and the thyme sprigs. Roast for 45-50 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Set aside until cool enough to be handled.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Meanwhile, using a spoon, remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Roughly chop them and add to the saucepan, along with the sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are even softer and heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a mixer and purée until smooth (be careful because you are dealing with hot liquid) – add a little water if necessary. Divide into serving bowls, top with some pesto and serve.

Serves 2

7 comments:

Abby said...

I love anything with pesto! And paired with butter, cheese and bread? What could be better?

I'm expecting Drive to come from Netflix today. Excited!

Aurélie said...

I love roasted tomato soup, with pisto must be delicious!
x Aurélie

Unknown said...

yummilicious!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Roasted tomato soup is one of my most favorite dinners! This makes me long for tomato season - just bought my first little plant yesterday.

Unknown said...

Seems like the perfect soup

So yuuuuuuuuuummy!

Cooking By Moonlight said...

This looks amazing! I am going to make this for lunch tomorrow! Yum :)

Sarah said...

I have never considered adding pesto to tomato soup and now I wonder why?! Gorgeous, and I imagine immensely delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails