Sunday, September 30, 2012

Toffee-glazed white chocolate mud cakes

Toffee-glazed white chocolate mud cakes / Bolinhos de chocolate branco com calda de caramelo

My vacation is over and tomorrow morning I'm back at work; I still have things to organize at home, therefore a quick post with an equally quick recipe (despite the steps), so delicious that will certainly put a smile on my face, even now that I no longer remember what it feels like waking up early. :D

Toffee-glazed white chocolate mud cakes
from the always delicious and oh, so beautiful Donna Hay Magazine

Cakes:
200g unsalted butter, chopped
200g white chocolate, chopped
1 cup (175g) brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons water
1 ½ tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150g) all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (58g) almond meal

Toffee glaze:
2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
½ cup (120ml) water
2/3 cup (150g) unsalted butter
½ cup (120ml) heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter six 1 ¼ cup capacity (300ml) mini cake or muffin pans.
Place the butter, white chocolate, sugar, water, golden syrup and vanilla in a heavy saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the flour and almond meal and mix to combine. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then carefully turn onto a wire rack. Cool completely, then transfer to the serving plates.
Make the glaze: place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir just until sugar is dissolved, turn heat to high then cook, without stirring, until golden and caramel forms (8 minutes or so). Remove from the heat and immediately add the butter and cream – carefully, mixture may spit – and stir until smooth. Spoon over the cakes and allow to set before serving. Transfer any remaining glaze to a small bowl to serve with the cakes (if glazes hardens, place it over a bowl of very hot water and stir until smooth).

Makes 6 – I made ¾ of the cake recipe above using ¾ cup (180ml) capacity pans and got 8 cakes; I halved the toffee glaze recipe and it was more than enough to glaze all the cakes

8 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

These are gorgeous cakes, I love the toffee glaze!

vanillasugarblog said...

I swear donna hay has the best recipes.
I need to give this a go.

anilou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anilou said...

Patricia, I love the way you reduce many of your recipes and yet they still work out. These sound right up my alley! I am not too sure what corn syrup is though. Does Donna Hay use golden syrup in her original recipe or is there another substitute? Thanks!
PS. I hate going back to work after holidays (and weekends!)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Anilou - yes, I tend to reduce them otherwise I'll end up eating everything by myself. :S
Donna always uses golden syrup, but since I can't find it here in Sao Paulo I always substitute for corn syrup.
xx

anilou said...

Aha, I know what you mean :\ Thanks for your reply.

Lynna said...

Why is everything on your blog SO SO DELICIOUS?! The name of this is already convinced me enough: I must make this as soon as possible!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen said...

These look and sound divine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails