Monday, July 8, 2013

Orange and poppy seed drizzle sheet cake + a favorite I cannot choose

Orange and poppy seed drizzle sheet cake / Bolo de laranja e sementes de papoula

Cover songs are a tricky thing: they can go really well or they can go terribly wrong, as I once wrote. Some versions are better than the original – purists, look away – while others are just OK, nothing special. There is one case, however, in which I can’t choose a favorite: “Don’t Dream It’s Over” – the original is absolutely wonderful, a song I would eagerly wait for the radios to play when I was a kid back in the day, and Sixpence None the Richer’s version is equally beautiful. Love both, can’t choose. And that is what happened with this cake: I once made the exact recipe given by Annie Bell, which is a lemon drizzle cake, and it tasted amazing. Then I adapted it a little, with orange and poppy seeds, and the result was oh, so delicious. I believe you can see how tender it turned out by the photo.

Love both, can’t choose. I’ll leave it up to you, guys. :)

Orange and poppy seed drizzle sheet cake
slightly adapted from the über beautiful Annie Bell's Baking Bible (I bought mine here)

Cake:
225g all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon table salt
4 tablespoons poppy seeds
225g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (225g) granulated sugar
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
4 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup (80ml) whole milk
1/3 cup (80ml) freshly squeezed orange juice

Drizzle:
juice of 1 orange
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter and flour a 20x30cm (12x8in) baking pan.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the poppy seeds.
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar and zest together until very light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and scrape the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. On low speed, beat in half the dry ingredients, then the milk and orange juice, then the remaining dry ingredients, mixing just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl again.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and risen and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan over a wire rack for 5 minutes – while that happens, make the drizzle: in a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice and sugar. Prick the cake all over with a toothpick and gradually spoon the drizzle over it, waiting until the cake absorbs it all. Cool completely in the pan, then cut into squares.

Serves 15

11 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I don't think I could choose a favorite, both cakes sound incredible!

Sarah said...

I've always loved the combo of lemon and poppy seed but now feel like orange and poppy seed may knock it out of the park!

Sara said...

Lovely! This looks SO delicious, I agree both sound soooo good! :)

Dana said...

Patricia - Your treats always look gorgeous. How do you do it?!? How did you get the cake out of the pan perfectly? When I butter and line my cake pans with parchment paper I get uneven crinkly edges. And if I don't use parchment I can't get them out whole. Please tell me what your secret is....

lisa is cooking said...

I think I'll have to try both versions--they both sound great! The crumb looks tender and lovely.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Dana - the secret here is using pans with removable bottoms. They work like a treat!
x

Dana said...

Thanks so much! (Oh, and I'm trying the orange version first.)

Ellen said...

Just made this cake as we had several oranges sitting sadly in the fruit bowl not being eaten! It was delicious but made huge amounts of batter - I managed to get 25 good-size squares out of it. Think I'll try halving it next time :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Ellen! Yes, it yields a lot - perfect for a potluck or for sharing with coworkers, like I did.

Laura said...

I could just jump into the screen and grab this! Wow it looks good!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

I made this today with Cara Cara oranges that I bought from the farmers' market yesterday. It is a lovely cake. The texture is light and tender. I'm a big fan of poppy seeds with their nutty crunch. The orange flavor really comes through. Or as my husband succinctly put it, "This cake goes down easy."

Thank you very, very much for sharing so many delicious recipes.

Yours,

Ellen

Related Posts with Thumbnails