Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Apple, raspberry and pecan muffin cake + "The Great Australian Bake Off"

Apple, raspberry and pecan muffin cake / Bolo muffin de maçã, framboesa e pecã

After the disappointment with American version of “The Great British Bake Off” I wasn’t sure I would watch “The Great Australian Bake Off”, but when I read that Dan Lepard would be one of the judges I immediately changed my mind: I’m a huge fan of his amazing recipes, each and every one of them I have tried so far turned out delicious. The other judge is Kerry Vincent and the woman is merciless: her sour comments and lack of tact drive the contestants to tears – she’s a crankier version of Paul Hollywood, while Dan is absolutely adorable, much like Mary Berry (I like him even more after watching the episodes).

I had never heard of Kerry Vincent before and kept thinking that Delia Smith could be an excellent judge for the show, but I guess that being Australian is a requirement (I had no idea Lepard was an Aussie). :)
The show is not as good as its British cousin, but it’s way better than the American version – I highly recommend it for those of you baking fanatics (like me). :)

Speaking of Delia, this wonderful cake is an adaptation of a recipe that comes from her latest cookbook, which is packed with superb baked goods and beautiful photos.

Apple, raspberry and pecan muffin cake
slightly adapted from Delia's Cakes (I bought mine here)

275g all purpose flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 level tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon table salt
170ml whole milk, room temperature
75g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
110g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and in 1cm dice
100g raspberries, frozen and unthawed
1 heaping tablespoon demerara sugar
75g pecans, roughly chopped
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 190°/375°F. Butter a 20cm (8in) round cake pan with a removable bottom, line the bottom with a circle of baking paper and butter the paper as well.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla. Sift the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold in with a fork – do not overmix; fold in the apples, then transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Sprinkle the batter with the raspberries, then the demerara sugar and finally the pecans.
Bake the cake for about 1 hour, checking after 50 minutes – a skewer inserted in the center should come out clean. Cool in the pan over a wire rack for 30 minutes, then carefully remove the cake from the pan using the removable bottom. When completely cooled, invert the cake onto a place, peel off the paper, then invert it again onto a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Serves 8-10

8 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Such a pretty cake and I adore the name - "muffin cake" sounds so inviting!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

This looks delicious. I might have to try making a gluten free version... I love fruity cakes, - they always seem so much more moist.

Carine said...

Oh wow! It looks amazingly delicious!

anilou said...

I love a cake with a crunchy topping.
I didn't know Dan Lepard was Australian either. I thought he was English by his accent and Kerry Vincent is Australian but hasn't lived here for a couple of decades. I'm surprised that you are already watching TGABO as that series hasn't even finished here in Australia yet!

Lesleyc said...

I so wish we could have Dan Lepard on the British version rather than Paul Hollywood. We've just started the new series of GBBO here in the UK and there are some amazingly talented people out there.

I bought the Delia Smith book - but have been underwhelmed by the editing - three ingredients together on a line and the very pale typeface is not easy on the eye - I thought it was just me being over critical but other people on the Amazon UK site were also complaining - so pleased it wasn't just me!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Kate D, I agree with you on the fruit cakes thing - so true!

Anilou, I have seen all the episodes but the final on Youtube. :D

Lesleyc, I adore Paul but Dan is my favorite between them two. :D
I have watched the two first episodes of the series 4 on Youtube and you are right, the level is up this season! Let's hope this time the winner actually deserves the title.
As for Delia's book, I agree with you on the graphic aspect, but the I think that the recipes are worth the trouble. :)
Thank you for commenting!

Denise Browning@From Brazil To You said...

Wow!!! Definitely, a cake to die for... I am drooling!!!!!

Laura Dembowski said...

This cake is beautiful! I want a slice right now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails