Friday, September 13, 2013

Spiced honey cakes and another TV show

Spiced honey cakes / Bolinhos de mel e especiarias

The best TV show ever made is sadly coming to an end and I felt like finding another addiction to watch. :) I’d read somewhere that “Broadchurch” was good (and then avoided reading more about the show because apparently people can’t write about movies and TV without resorting to spoilers) so that was my choice. Because it is a show with a very short season (only eight episodes) I finished it in no time and yes, it is every bit as good as I’d expected and both David Tennant and Olivia Colman are magnificent on it (note to self: try to find “Tyrannosaur” as soon as possible).

Though considered a no-no, I sometimes like to eat while watching TV and if it’s something tasty even better: these cakes, which are super easy to make (melted butter, no need to wait for it to soften), turned out delicious and utterly tender, and one of them was devoured still warm from the oven while I watched the season finale of “Broadchurch” – lucky for me the episode really got my attention, otherwise I would have eaten another cake right after the first one. :D

Spiced honey cakes
slightly adapted from the always stunning and delicious Gourmet Traveller

180g all purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
¼ cup (44g) light brown sugar, packed
120g honey
1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
100ml whole milk, room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ tablespoons whisky
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter and flour eighteen 1/3-capacity muffin pans.
Sift together flour, baking powder, spices, baking soda and salt, add sugars and whisk to combine. Make a well in the center, add honey, butter, milk, egg, vanilla and whisky. Whisk until smooth, spoon into prepared pans and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool in the pans over a wire rack for 15 minutes, then carefully remove from the pans and cool completely on the rack.
Sift with icing sugar before serving.

Makes 18 – I made the exact recipe above, used 180ml-capacity pans and got 8 cakes

5 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

What tasty cakes, I love all the spices!

Jan said...

Totally addicted to Breaking Bad as well, but this last season (what I've watched of it) has upset me because Walter seems to be getting very greedy! Anyways, these honey cakes with a splash of whiskey sounds amazing! Perfect segueway to fall :)

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

Could you make these on standard muffins tins? Did you make these in mini loaf pans?

Dana said...

I can't get over how beautiful your recipes always look. My food is (usually) delicious, but doesn't have that finished polished look yours does. I must admit, I have envy. Plus the props are always cute.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Janice, he is! it seems that he is drenched with power.

Melissa, yes, on the recipe you'll see that. I used the mini loaf pan I bought from Williams Sonoma.
xx

Dana, you are far too kind! Thank you - if you check the initial posts of the blog you'll see that it was a learning curve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails