Monday, December 2, 2013

Gingerbread stars because Christmas is around the corner

Gingerbread stars / Estrelinhas de gingerbread

One of the things I hear the most these days is that time flies and I couldn’t agree more – I cannot believe that December has already arrived; it’s time to decorate the Christmas tree, to buy gifts for the loved ones and to start thinking about the food – since it’s too early for turkey I kicked things off with these cute and delicious gingerbread stars. :)

I usually shy away from cut out cookies at this time of the year because of the insane heat, but days ago the sun wasn’t so harsh and I managed to make these without much trouble, just refrigerating the cookies before actually baking them. A sprinkling of icing sugar to mimic snow and my Christmas series begins now (and if you’re looking for inspiration and can’t wait there are several posts from previous years here). :)

Gingerbread stars
slightly adapted from Mowie’s beautiful blog

130g unsalted butter
4 tablespoons corn syrup
110g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
330g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
icing sugar, for sprinkling

Place the butter, sugar and syrup in a small saucepan and melt together over a medium heat. Cool, then stir in the vanilla.
Place flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl, add the melted mixture and mix until a dough forms – I used an electric mixer for that but the mixture wouldn’t come together no matter how much I mixed it; therefore, I cracked an egg in a small bowl, lightly beat it with a fork and, with the mixer on, l added the egg gradually until the dough came together (I used nearly half the egg).
Divide the dough into half, form a disk with each half and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to 5mm thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheets 2.5cm (1in) apart. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, then bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on the sheets over a wire rack, then sprinkle generously with icing sugar. Reroll dough scraps once.

Makes about 4 dozen using a 5cm (2in) star cookie cutter

6 comments:

Marise said...

Just thinking, why everyone asks for unsalted butter? I always put a pinch of salt in everything I bake as I feel there is something missing if someone doesn't. Always use salted butter. Do you know the reason for this unsalted thing in every recipe? thanks

Charlotte said...

I just want you to know that you have a wonderful blog and I so look forward to reading it. Thank you for such wonderful recipes and musings.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

These are so pretty and festive for Christmas!

Dina said...

they look yummy and festive!

Abbiee said...

These cookies look so delicious! And they're gorgeous, too.
Pinning!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi Marise,
When you use unsalted butter you have complete control over the amount of salt added to the recipe - when you use salted butter you don't.

Charlotte, you are far too kind! Thank you for your sweet comment, you've made my day! <3

Related Posts with Thumbnails