Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Crustless lemon tart - a brilliant idea

Crustless lemon tart / Torta de limão sem massa

If the weather here at this time of the year is not superb for rolling out cookies rolling out pastry for a tart is out of the question as well: the last time I tried doing that with 35°C days there were so many trips to the fridge with the pastry involved that the thought of it makes me tired already. :)

So you can only imagine how glad I was when I found this recipe on one of my Bill Granger’s cookbooks: one of my favorite desserts in the world made without the hassle of pastry. I thought it was too genius not to give it a go, so I tried it and the result was a very delicious dessert – from now on, I’ll no longer feel lazy when the urge of making lemon tart crosses my mind. \0/

This tart tasted great both warm and cold, so it is perfect for entertaining – that is why I’ll probably make it again for dessert tomorrow for my New Year’s Eve dinner.

Crustless lemon tart
slightly adapted from the delicious Bill's Basics

3 eggs
½ cup (70g) all purpose flour
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter, melted
finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
125ml lemon juice
1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20cm round springform cake pan (I used one with a removable bottom).

Whisk the eggs and then gradually whisk in the flour. Add the sugar, salt, butter, lemon zest and juice, cream and vanilla and whisk well. Pour into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges.

Leave in the pan to cool for 20 minutes before turning out and slicing. Dust with icing sugar.

Serves 6-8

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

This recipe looks delicious. As our Myer lemon tree is in full production now, I'm going to have to make it.

Since you've done me innumerable favors by posting so many wonderful recipes, I'd like to make a tiny repayment by giving you the link to a tart crust recipe which is made with hot ingredients. I've tried it and it is quite tasty:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/05/french-tart-dough-a-la-francaise/

I wish you a very happy 2015.

Yours,

Ellen

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Ellen, that tart dough seems amazing! Thank you for the link!

Thank you for your lovely comment, and I wish you all the best, too.

xx

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Oh gorgeous, it looks lusciously lemony!

Unknown said...

I tried this recipe and let me tell you it was to die for.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Rachel, I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you for lettin me know how the recipe turned out! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails