Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Gingernut cookies

Gingernut cookies

rei-gengibre

The “King of the Fortnight” on Colher de Tacho is ginger. I had a hard time choosing a recipe to make – everything I saw seemed delicious!
The only thing I knew was that I wanted something sweet.
Many of those recipes called for glacé ginger or crystallized ginger and I couldn’t find any where I live. I wasn’t sure I was going to have the time to search for it in São Paulo. So ground ginger became my choice.

I was impressed by how easily and quickly I made these cookies – the dough was prepared in no time using my good old mixer. And while it was in the fridge, I made dinner. Perfect timing.

Recipe from here – I saw a link to this site in someone’s blog (sorry, I can’t remember which one!) and got completely addicted to it.

Gingernut cookies

60g butter, softened
200g (1 cup) caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg – I used only ½ teaspoon
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
210g (1 ½ cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 180°C/355ºF. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
Using an electric hand mixer, cream butter, sugar, golden syrup, ginger, nutmeg, and salt until pale. Add egg and beat well.
Sift remaining ingredients over butter mixture. Stir until a soft dough forms. Wrap dough in greaseproof paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place onto baking trays, allowing plenty of room for spreading.
Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 45 – I got 54, approx. 5cm each

Gingernut cookies

14 comments:

ta2urnfs said...

Sounds good.

Anne said...

I have to admit I envy those people who could actually make nice cookies...because I can't :(

your cookies are very pretty... I could eat a handful of those :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Patricia - these cookies are a perfect description for me as well - Ginger Nut! LOL!
They look (and sound) fabulous - particularly with a cool glass of milk to wash them down!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Patricia, is golden syrup like Karo syrup here in the US? Or is it thicker, like molasses?

Anonymous said...

These look delicious, Patricia. Are they chewy or hard and crunchy? I actually love the storebought ginger snaps sold in the U.S. by Nabisco--they're so hard you must dip them in milk to eat them. Most ginger snap recipes I've seen tend to produce softer, "more normal" cookies.

But soft or crunchy, I want these right now!

Valentina said...

Pat, what a delicious recipe. I am really into ginger cookies and have to be careful not to overeat them.; o )

Anh said...

Oh Pat, your cookies are so well-done! Mine never turned out as pretty...

Claudia said...

Golden Syrup? Count me IN!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these look great. Good call on the nutmeg. I can't imagine what 2 teaspoons would do.

Peabody said...

Mmmm ginger cookies, though being a nutmeg lover I would have used the whole amount.

Truffle said...

These sound wonderful. I love how perfectly uniform yours are. You're as good as a professional baker!

Lis said...

These are the kind of cookies that I don't know how to STOP when eating them. hehee I love ginger and this cookie looks both crunchy and chewy.. is it?

Thanks for the recipe, these could become a staple for us at Christmas time!

xoxo

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, ta2urnfs, tks for stopping by!

Anne, I doubt that - I've seen so many wonderful things on your blog!

Gilly, they were perfect with milk. I don't drink coffee, but I brought some to my coworker and she said they were great with black coffee!

Lydia, you are right, sweetie! Karo, that's it. I actually chose this recipe because I didn't have molasses at home.

Terry, they're crunchy on the edges and chewy in the center.
Please, my dear friend, have some!

Tina, every time I see ginger it reminds me of you - even before this event.

Anh, you are so talented, sweetie!

Claudia, thank you for the visit!

Brian, I wanted ginger to take center stage, that's why I cut back on nutmeg.

Peabody, let me know if you try it with the whole amount, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Truffle, and you are making me blush! ;)
Thank you!

Lis, I had a hard time trying not to eat the whole stack...
You're right, crunchy on the edges and chewy in the center.
I thank you for your lovely comment, sweetie!
xx

Anonymous said...

Quick and easy...my kind of recipe! Delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails