Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Waiter there's something in my... bread! Berry Twist Bread

Berry Twist Bread

Sometimes I wonder why it takes me forever to choose certain recipes. I make up my mind just to change it a minute later. So complicated.
Just for a change, the same thing happened while I was trying to decide what to bake for this “Waiter there’s something in my… bread”, hosted by Spittoon Extra.

waitertheressomething

In the last minute before leaving the office yesterday I picked a recipe from this site. And I was so pleased with the results I’m already planning to bake this bread again – simply delicious.

The dough is so soft and tender you won’t believe it. I feel like trying it with a number of different jams, even though raspberry is my favorite.

Berry Twist Bread

Dough:
120ml (½ cup) warm milk – I used
80ml (1/3 cup) warm water
7g (¼-ounce package) active dry yeast
420 to 490g (3 to 3 ½ cups) all-purpose flour – I used 430g
50g (¼ cup) sugar
57g (¼ cup) butter, melted
1 egg
1 1/8 teapoons salt
2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam – I used 3 tablespoon. I couldn’t find any so I sieved the one I had. Some of the seeds remained.

Glaze:
90g (¾ cup) icing sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice – I used 1 ½
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel, if desired – I was short on time, so I skipped this

Combine warm milk and water in large bowl; add yeast. Stir to dissolve. Stir in 385g (2 ¾ cups) flour, sugar, butter, egg and 1 teaspoon salt until soft dough forms.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough, adding additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary, until dough is smooth (5 to 10 minutes). Place dough into greased bowl; turn greased-side up. Cover; let rise until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).

Knead dough on lightly floured surface (30 seconds). Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
Roll dough into 37x25cm (15x10-inch) rectangle. Combine jam and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Spread dough with jam mixture to within ½ inch of edge. Roll up, beginning with 37cm (15-inch) side. Place onto large greased baking sheet. Form into circle; pinch ends to seal. Cut ¾ the way through dough every 1 ½ inches on outside edge with kitchen shears or serrated knife. Twist each section of dough, turning it on side to form ring – I had trouble here. :S

Cover; let rise until double in size (30 to 45 minutes).

Preheat oven to 175ºC/350°F. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack – even though the recipe didn’t call for it, I brushed the bread with milk before baking it.

Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon orange juice and orange peel, if desired, in small bowl. Add enough additional orange juice for desired glazing consistency. Drizzle over cooled bread.

Serves 16

Berry Twist Bread

28 comments:

Linda said...

this looks just like my favorite polish bread but that has poppy seeds in the middle!

Anonymous said...

This sounds and looks wonderful, Patricia. And Linda's comment about poppy seeds just reinforces what I was going to say: I would just use jam with seeds and let them be part of the texture of the bread. The seeded jam just tastes better to me. And that's why there's dental floss, right?

Sara - Piperita said...

Today, while I was looking for an inspiring recipe for Waiter, there's something in my bread, I really wanted to find something sweet, for breakfast...
Your berry twist looks like a winner idea that I will soon try!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...that looks like it would taste delectable! Such a lovely contribution to the event.

Gattina Cheung said...

Pat, I'm on hooked!!! Have been staring your gorgeous ring over a minute still not wanting to leave ...

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Patricia,
I can feel how my mouth is starting to water. What I love about this is that I guess you can use different types of jams for a great new taste every time.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Gosh Pat yes that is just knock 'em out good looking! Totally open to all flavors and I would think even cinnamon sugar.
It bakes up so beautifully and the filling is enticing!!

Anh said...

Pat, this is beautiful! I love bread like this.... I'm currently baking some bread too (wush me luck!) :D Kinda addicted to bread baking lately I am supposed.

Brilynn said...

I'm the same way, I'm constantly changing my mind about what to make.

It looks as though you made an excellent final decision, that bread looks seriously good!

Anne said...

Your bread looks absolutely wonderful :)

Valentina said...

Pat, this bread is so gorgeous. Difficult to stop staring at it.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, nice bread - it looks perfectly proofed, and those swirls of jams look delightful!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

What lovely raspberry bread! It reminds me of a blueberry bread my mom always made for us. It must have been as tasty as it is pretty!

Elle said...

At Easter i was looking for a bread like this, but never found the right one. Yours looks fantastic with a perfect crumb and raspberry jam. Yum. Lovely photos, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Patricia - such a lovely sweet bread!

Stella said...

GOsh, that's a beautiful twist bread, it'd be perfect for the afternoon tea!! I know what you mean when you change recipes so many times, I guess there're too many recipes that exist =)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Linda, you just gave me a fabulous idea, tks, sweetie!

Terry, I had a laugh with you now - I'm all for the seeds, too. You're right!

Sara, I saw the fantastic bread you baked. :)

Kristen, thank you - a wonderful baker like you would like this recipe, I knew it. :)

Gattina, same here with your gorgeous breads, sweetie!

Meeta, I'm so glad you stopped by! I'm willing to try the new flavors, I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Tanna, you're adorable! Tks for encouraging me to try harder and learn more.

Anh, I can't wait to see your new creations - I'm always in awe with what your talented hands make!

Brilynn, thank you! I'd exchange some for that lovely brioche you made. ;-)

Anne, tks, sweetie!

Tina, thank you - I'm so glad you liked it.

Ellie, the jam part is so tempting, isn't it? ;)

Susan, did you say blueberries? I'd love to try that too!

Elle, thank you - having the support of my favorite bloggers really makes my day!

Gilly, tks, dear!

Valentina, and you keep making my life miserable posting more wonderful recipes for me to try! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks really tempting Patricia! Soft with jam...mmm! It's night time here but I'm dreaming of breakfast...that bread for breakfast specifically :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my god !!!! It's so beautiful and georgious !!! I love that

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Patricia, Your bread is just lovely and looks like it would be delicious, as well. I'm definitely putting this one in my "to make" pile!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

i would love to eat this right out of the oven ...warm and melty ! yum yum

Truffle said...

This looks delicious! Oh I want a slice now!

Helene said...

A nice way to use my jams!! Thanks for the superb photos!

Lis said...

The jam swirled in the bread has me completely swooning at my desk, Patricia! That would be pure heaven to me. =)

xoxo

Peabody said...

That just looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Patricia,
That cake looks so pretty! I'm tagging this recipe and I'll be baking it soon. It looks too good to resist! I love raspberry fillings. I think I'll pair it with some lime glaze (like your raspberry limeade). :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Joey, the bread was very soft, I couldn't believe it. :)

Candy, thank you, sweetie!

Lynn, thank you for visiting my blog! I hope you like it, there are so many delicious recipes on your blog!

Kate, I couldn't wait for it to cool down, I had to have a slice right away. :)

Truffle, have some! :)

Helene, those jams sound delicious!

Lis, I'm so glad you liked it, dear!
xx

Peabody, thank you.

Amy, your idea is great! Let me know if you like it? Those sticky buns are on my list, just so you know it. ;)

Unknown said...

this is so beautiful!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails