Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Chocolate shortbread fingers and gifts from Berlin

Chocolate shortbread fingers

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a clickaholic – every time I read something online I click, and click, then click and click again. I go, link after link, and sometimes I don’t even remember where I started. :)

I was listening to Billy Idol’s “Sweet Sixteen” this morning on my way to work – absolutely love that song – and, after googling him, then the song, I ended up here. I did not know about that artist and was really intrigued by his bio and work.

That’s how I met Silvia, a lovely Brazilian blogger who lives in Berlin. I clicked on Technorati, then clicked on one blog that had linked mine... And we became friends.

All the delicious treats you see on the photos were sent by her, all the way from Germany. Isn’t it amazing? You, my blogger friends, will end up spoiling me pretty bad... :)

Silvia, my dear, thank you so much for the gifts!! I loved each and every one of them! xoxo

Another result of my clicking mania was finding this recipe – Jen posted it a long time ago and I urge you to try it, too. These cookies are wonderful and I’m sure you have all the ingredients in your pantry.

Chocolate shortbread fingers

Chocolate shortbread fingers

1 ½ cups (340g/3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons (370g) all-purpose flour
4 ½ tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
heaping ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (200g) superfine sugar
granulated sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 160ºC/325ºF. Butter/spray a 30x20cm (12x8in) rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment paper, letting it hang over the long sides. Sift together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

Beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. If you don’t have superfine sugar, process granulated sugar in a food processor for 15 seconds. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.

Spread dough into baking sheet. Chill dough in refrigerator or freezer for about 15 minutes or until firm. Prick dough all over with a fork. Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm – mine took 35. While still hot, cut into 10x2.5cm (4x1in) pieces. A pizza cutter works wonderfully for this. Sprinkle top of shortbread with granulated sugar, covering completely. Cool completely in the pan.

Makes about 20 (I cut mine a bit shorter and wider than Jen’s)

Chocolate shortbread fingers

26 comments:

Manggy said...

Oh, I know all about those fortuitous clicks-- snooping around in Technorati is how I discovered a few friends myself! (er, I'm not naming names cos they might blush!) You are so lucky, Patricia, but still everything's well-deserved because you're so nice and such a generous spirit (as is Silvia, of course! Her package is lovely). Yes, it's my mission to make everyone blush.
I actually thought they were brownies-- I shoulda guessed they were cookies ;) They look soo buttery and rich!

Snooky doodle said...

Ha sometimes I do that too and I won t remember what I was searching in the first place :) The shortbread looks delicious. Nice recipe. I know alot of those gifts since I live in Europe and are very popular here :) It s always nice to receive gifts from far away. I received some corn syrup as a gift from a blogger and I was so happy since in Europe its not available. Enjoy the gifts and if you wish some more of a particular item I ll be glad to send them to you :)

Peabody said...

Lots of fun treats you got.
What delish looking shortbread as well.

Anonymous said...

Those look so good...I love the idea of topping them with coarse sugar. What great texture to add to an already delicious flavor!

Nic said...

Oooh, lovely goodies and that chocolate shortbread looks scrumptious too!

Alexa said...

It's so much fun receiving such a nice care-package. I feel I just received a treat from you just by looking at the scrumptious cookies you've posted. Delicious!

Amber said...

Wait until you turn 50 and the same thing happens in your conversations. You just keep clicking using your mouth, adding new thoughts, and...uh oh, you have no flippin idea where you started and neither does the person you are talking to. Fun without drugs.
I love shortbread and chocolate is even better. Lucky you with all the wonderful surprises.

Anonymous said...

What a really lovely gift Patricia, lucky you!

Thanks for the recipe, I've never tried Chocolate Shortbread come to think of it. Plain shortbread and chocolate chip and all sorts of other kinds but never chocolate!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Isn't it fun getting presents from food bloggers in other countries? I love when "mystery packages" arrive at my door.

Unknown said...

I love receiving gifts from blogger friends, although haven't got any gift from any bloggers (except it is a present-exchanging event) just yet. Congrats for the present and the biscuits look perfect for afternoon tea!

LyB said...

Shiny chocolate cookies and gifts, what could be better? :)

Emily said...

Ooooh gifts galore! That's cool that you two became friends.

The shortbread looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

And they are beautiful! And the gifts...wow!

Inne said...

What a great word, 'clickaholic'. I too get caught into the internet sometimes, and then suddenly, it's hours later...

Love the chocolate shortbread, it looks absolutely scrumptious!

Katie said...

These look really good I mean shortbread and chocolate together how rich! And congrats on your package its always fun to get stuff in the mail.

Deborah said...

I am a clicker, too. It's amazing how much of a day can be spent just clicking away! The cookies look delicious!

Sarah said...

What nice gifts!

Emily Rose said...

wow, these cookies look wonderful! i am also a clickaholic- and wikipedia certainly helps me aid my addiction!

Gigi said...

What a generous package! And the shortbread are just gorgeous with the sanding sugar on top.

cookworm said...

That shortbread with the coffee is making my mouth water! I love shortbread...will have to try this chocolate version soon!

Elle said...

Similar click to click to click links is how I became a blogger. It started out with a tea cup exchange and then I found FOOD BLOGS! Never looked back. Love the generosity that flows between bloggers despite never meeting. Also love those cookies. Perfect afternoon treats.

Anonymous said...

ur pics look so lovely!

Anonymous said...

Love the look of the white sugar on the dark brown shortbread. Must have been yummy!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mark, you are such a dear, thank you for your kind words, my friend! I'm blushing here. ;)
Very buttery, indeed!

Snooky Doodle, you are so kind, thank you for your offer! Food bloggers rule, I have to say!
xoxo

Pea, and now I have more cranberries to bake with. :D

Hannah, Jen's recipes are wonderful, I want to try them all. :)

Nic, thank you, sweetie!

Alexa, I'm glad you feel this way, thank you!

Amber, tks for stopping by - your comment made me laugh. :)

Lorraine, now I want to try a choc chip version, too. ;)

Lydia, I felt the same way when I got your package. Just did not post about it here because I did not know how you would feel... ;)

Arfi, I would love to send you something from here - send me an email!

LyB, nothing could! :)

Emiline, she's a wonderful friend.

Cathy, thank you!

Inne, I know - we get caught up in so many links, don't we? :)
Thank you!

Katie, thank you, darling!

Deb, and we can find some precious things! Tks!

Sarah, thank you!

Emily Rose, I hear you, darling. I'm the same! :)

Gigi, thank you, sweetie!

Cookworm, I think you would like it!

Elle, and clicking and clicking is how I found food bloggers, too, and then became one! And I'm glad I did, sweetie! It was wonderful meeting all of you!

Missy, thank you!

Linda, they were good, yeah!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite internet activities is getting lost. I find the most amazing things -- and people -- just as you've described. Lovely presents and delicious chocolate bars. I love that sugar on top!

www.colorbakery.com said...

I made your chocolate shortbread tonight and it was heaven crumbling and melting on the tongue. The best shortbread, by far, I have ever made...and I didn't even use an electric mixer.

The consistency and flavor were perfect. Thank you so much for sharing. I am a professional artist, and baking has never been one of my strongest talents. But my husband even said that it tasted like a professional baker made it. Thank you so much. :)

Mindy Sommers
Color Bakery
http://colorbakery.com/blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails