Thursday, November 27, 2008

Alfajores

Alfajores

I’m kind of tired of war movies – don’t get me wrong, there are wonderful ones out there, I just think that maybe I have seen too many in a short period of time. But tell me, how will I be able to resist such a beautiful poster?

In the same way, you must be tired of seeing so many cookies around here. Bear with me, please – it’s just one more thing I cannot resist. :)

The alfajores were a present for a dear coworker of mine, Adriana – it was her birthday last week and I made these especially for her.

I used Katia’s recipe and the alfajores turned out wonderful – the dough is not hard to work with and yields a good amount of cookies. Just make sure you use firm dulce de leche – a runny kind won’t stay put inside the alfajores.

Alfajores

Alfajores

1 ¼ cup (150g) cornstarch
1 cup (140g) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup (150g) sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cognac
dulce de leche
icing sugar

Sift cornstarch, flour and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.

In large mixer bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add cognac and mix well.

In slow speed, add the sifted ingredients and mix until the dough comes together – don’t overmix.

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.

Roll out dough between two pieces of baking paper to ¼ inch (0.60cm) thickness. Using a 2-in (5cm) round cutter, cut cookies and place on prepared sheets – don’t reroll the dough more than twice. If you are working on a warm place, refrigerate the dough for a couple of minutes before rolling it.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until barely brown on the bottom - tops will be pale. Set on cooling rack to cool.
Sandwich the cookies with the dulce de leche and dust with icing sugar before serving.
This recipe can be easily doubled.

Makes 25 sandwich cookies

Alfajores

36 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

These are beautiful. A friend of mine recently brought me back some alfajores from an amazing bakery in Peru. Loved them!

Manggy said...

Oh my, don't those look perfect! Adriana is one lucky girl!

* by the way, awesome poster. Kate Winslet, yay!

Susan said...

"The Reader" is a stunning novel. I hope the film can do it justice. I'm hesitant to see it for fear it will disappoint. It's not the typical war story.

Keep those cookies coming, Patricia.
Lovely bites, as usual. Hope you are well.

Sarah Jane said...

What is the meaning of the word "Alfajores", just out of curiosity?
These look very pretty. And I love that heart fabric.

Anonymous said...

I love alfajores, and yours look so perfect and delicious! Lucky Adriana....

Anonymous said...

No, I think I can't get enough of your cookies ! They look so pretty.

Anonymous said...

My husband would love these cookies. I've never tried alfajores but have been seeing lots of recipes lately. Your photo makes these look irresistible.

Mrs Ergül said...

This looks so good and I have all the ingredients on hand. I just need to find the right dulce de leche recipe.

I been dying to put my cognac in something. I so love this recipe!!! Thank you!

pam said...

I read the book The Reader, it was wonderful! Your cookies look wonderfule too!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Alfajores are my favourite South American biscuit! Truly delicious Patricia!

Anonymous said...

I adore alfajores! These look so tender and delicious!

Kana said...

Patricia - Can't imagine being tired of cookies ;)
How long will these cookies keep once filled?

Unknown said...

I've heard about such biscuit. These look like Belgium biscuits. Very pretty.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

sounds like a comforting cookie :)

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful - I love your dulce de leche sandwich idea! Can't wait to try them.

zorra said...

Since a long time I want to bake these cookies, they look so yummie and I love dulce de leche.

Anonymous said...

yum! having a cup of coffee and imagining how it'd be so much better with these cookies!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I aggree, I get tired of war movies, but never of cookies and recipes therof! These look so delicious with their filling!
Ronell

Shari said...

Those cookies look simple but delicious!

Jen Yu said...

You know, I *love* alfajores. I ate so many while I was in Argentina :) I have yet to try reproducing them (and it has been a decade since I was in Argentina!) These look fabulous. I think you've inspired me to give them a try. I guess that means I'll get to them sometime in March 09? ;)

Sneige said...

They look so adorable, Particia!!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

RecipeGirl, thank you!

Mark, Adriana is a sweet girl!
And Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes - double yay!

Susan, now I want to read the book, too, my dear. :)
Many hugs to you.

Sarah Jane, you got me - I don't think there's a translation.
Tks for stopping by!

Linda, thank you!

Vanille, thank you, darling!

Lydia, and you are far too kind, my friend.

Mrs Ergül, tks for stopping by! I hope you like these!

Pam, I want to read it too, now!

Pete, thank you!

Miri, they are! :) Tks for visiting!

Maya, I'm glad to hear that. ;)
They will last a day or so, only... But the cookies without filling will last 3-4 days.

Arfi, thank you.

Dani, tks for visiting!

EVK, tks for stopping by! I hope you try them.

Zorra, this is a very easy recipe.

Grease Monkey, tks for stopping by - these are good with both coffee and tea!

Ronell, so there will be more cookies - tks!

Shari, thank you!

Jen, I'm sure that once you decide to make them you'll rock! :D

Alita, thank you!

Emily said...

I've heard of these, but I've never tasted one. They look absolutely perfect!

You should start a movie blog. I always enjoy your reviews. I love watching indie-type movies.

Peabody said...

You can keep the cookies coming. I am looking for ideas for cookie exchange.

Valentina said...

oh, so moreish...i can just see them pairing up really well with the cup of tea that i am having right now.

Katie said...

I really want to try to make these they just intimidate me. But if you say they are pretty easy then I should try.

Alexa said...

It's a lovely poster... However, I am eying those scrumptious cookies. Yummy!

Aimée said...

These look too pretty to eat, Patricia. Is this the movie with Kate Winslet? I love her.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Beautiful poster and beautiful cookies. They look like they'd be a perfect tea time cookie.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Who could tire of cookies? Especially alfajores? They came beautiful, Patricia!

Sarah said...

You know, it's funny--I read that book and cannot for the life of me remember what it was about, but I love Kate and Ralph, so I will see the movie.
Dulce de leche sandwich cookies!! Oh, my. Delicious.

Deborah said...

I made alfajores once, and loved them! Yours look perfect!

Jaime said...

those look soooooooooo perfect!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amalyah Keshet said...

Sarah Jane: the Spanish name alfajores is from the Arabic for "stuffed" or "filled."

Ellen said...

these look amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails