Friday, November 7, 2008

Polenta-crusted roasted ratatouille tart

Polenta-crusted roasted ratatouille tart

Thank you all for your comments and concern – your positive thoughts and kind words were very important for my getting better, for sure!

I have been thinking a lot about sweets lately – due to Christmas coming and the gifts I want to make for my friends and colleagues. I have so many recipes bookmarked I don’t even know where to start, really...

I found this recipe going through cookie and candy recipes for the holidays. I have no idea why it was filed in my sweet folder, but I considered it a sign. I’d rather have a sign like this than the one Francesca had in Tuscany. Eeew! :)

Polenta-crusted roasted ratatouille tart

Polenta-crusted roasted ratatouille tart
slightly adapted from here and here

Crust:
1 cup (155g) instant polenta
½ cup (70g) all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon + a pinch of salt
3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, in cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
4-5 tablespoons water

Filling:
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ large onion, thinly sliced
1 small eggplant, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
dried oregano
fresh oregano leaves, to taste
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese – I used the yellow mozzarella we have here, made with cow’s milk and that looks similar to Monterrey Jack cheese
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

Start with the filling: preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºC. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat; sauté onion until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes. Spray 2 baking trays with cooking spray. Arrange the eggplant, zucchini and tomato slices on the trays in a single layer and brush with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle the tomatoes with dried oregano and roast the vegetables until soft but not browned, about 15 minutes. Remove the vegetables from oven and cool.

Now, the crust: lower the oven temperature to 180ºC/350ºF.
Combine polenta, flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor – I used my Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment. Pulse to incorporate. Add butter and oil and pulse about 20 times, until mixture resembles small pebbles. Add water and pulse until mixture forms a loose dough. Remove dough from processor and press into bottom and sides of a lightly oiled 24cm tart pan with a removable bottom (my pan doesn’t have very high sides).
Press aluminum foil or baking paper over the dough weigh down with uncooked rice, beans or pie weights. Place tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and remove rice and foil. Return to oven, rise the temperature to 200ºC/400ºF and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes, or until no longer shiny and wet. Remove from oven and let cool.

Lower the oven temperature to 180ºC/350ºF.
Lay the eggplant slices on the bottom of tart; cover with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and some of oregano leaves. Add the zucchini and onion, top with another 1/3 of the mozzarella and oregano, then the tomatoes. Top with rest of the mozzarella cheese, oregano leaves and the parmesan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and vegetables have further wilted.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before unmolding it. Serve warm.

Serves 6

21 comments:

Manggy said...

Hah! Another imdb link-- unfortunately I haven't seen UtTS! I am wishing we had some really nice, large tomatoes for this-- but maybe I'll just sprinkle sugar on them and justify it being in "sweets!" :)

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! Perfect for brunch or lunch - I'm going to have to give it a shot. I'm always looking for more savory breakfast ideas...
Glad you are feeling better!

The Food Librarian said...

This is beautiful!!! Glad you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

That looks brilliant, and so easy! I might just make it for choir practice tomorrow ...

sweetalmond said...

That looks so good!! I want to have a bite! and the idea of polenta in the crust is so brilliant, it must turn out very crispy!

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. Keeping this recipe in mind for next summer. Ratatouille never seems that appealing to me, but a ratatouille tart seems perfect.

Glad you're feeling better!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Glad you're ok Patricia...love the polenta crust, with the vegies and cheese...just beautiful and tasty I bet!

Anonymous said...

Hooray -- you're feeling better! Love the look of this tart -- it would be perfect for a picnic.

Marysol said...

Beautiful tart. I love polenta, and while I've never made ratatouille, I, at least, like saying the name [G]
Patricia, I've been MIA for a few weeks, so I don't know what's been going on with you, healthwise. But I hope you're on the mend, while I go look for clues.

Nic said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been well, there's a lot of it about at the moment.
The tart looks wonderful, full of my fav ingredients!

Cynthia said...

That crust has to be outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better, this looks so wonderfully satisfying! Lucky you found it in the wrong folder!

Deborah said...

What a delicious tart to eat in between all of the sweets!! Glad you are feeling better!

Snooky doodle said...

Yummy this looks so nice , wish I m having it for dinner tonight. Strange to use polentas though. Interesting.
I tagged you please visit my blog :)

Sarah said...

Wow this looks delicious! And I don't particularly like ratatouille or polenta, so that's quite a compliment. ;) Glad you're feeling a bit better!

Peabody said...

A polenta crust sounds fabulous!

ChichaJo said...

Happy to hear you are feeling better :) I love savory tarts like this one...yum! The crust looks great!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mark, you MUST watch it - it's so adorable and Diane Lane is gorgeous!
:)

Micha, tks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.
Thank you!

Food Librarian, thank you!

Veronica, very easy, indeed!

Sweet Almond, and very tasty because of the olive oil!

Julie, I'm not crazy about ratatouille either, but this way, and covered with cheese... Yum! :)
Thank you, darling!

Pete, very tasty and good for you! :)

Lydia, I think you are right. :)

Marysol, I'm glad to see you back, sweetie. And don't worry about me - I'm OK now!
xoxo

Nic, I'm fine now, thank you, darling!

Cynthia, the olive oil imparts wonderful flavor to it.

Cathy, I should be more organized, shouldn't I? :)

Deb, thank you!

Snooky Doodle, I'll see it now!

Sarah, I am flattered. ;)

Pea, it is! :)

Joey, thank you, dear! I love savory tarts and pies, too!

Alexa said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. This tart is positively delicious looking. I love anything ratatouille and the polenta crust makes it just that more special.

Sarah said...

This looks very nice! I bet the polenta crust is great.

kristenly said...

this looks amazing! thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails