Monday, January 5, 2009

Chocolate, pistachio and cranberry panettone

Chocolate, pistachio and cranberry panettone

Happy New Year, everyone!

Thank you for your comments and emails – I took some time off and haven’t posted here or visited my favorite blogs. I intend to correct that as soon as possible and I start this panettone. I adapted this recipe, replacing the raisins and hazelnuts for dried cranberries and pistachios.

I wish you all a great year, full of joy, love and hope. May all our dreams come true!

Chocolate, pistachio and cranberry panettone

Chocolate, pistachio and cranberry panettone
from Delicious magazine

125g unsalted butter, softened, divided
350g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting – I used 380g all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
7g sachet (2 ¼ teaspoons) fast-action dried yeast
50g caster sugar
50g dried cranberries
50g shelled, unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
finely grated zest of 1 orange
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons warm milk, plus extra, if needed
50g semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
icing sugar, to dust

Grease and line a fluted savarin or kugelhopf pan (or a 18cm round x 9cm deep pan)*.
Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast, sugar, cranberries, nuts and zest.
Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, 100g of the butter and the milk. Mix. Knead in the bowl for 5 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic (add a little extra milk, if it’s dry). Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a further 5 minutes or until smooth - – I used my Kitchen Aid with the hook attachment for the whole kneading process.
Put in a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for at least 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Punch the dough in the bowl to ‘knock back’, then knead for another 5 minutes on a floured surface. Gradually knead in the chocolate as quickly as possible to avoid the chunks melting. Place the dough into the pan. Cover and leave for another 30 minutes or until risen again.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Melt the remaining 25g butter and brush over the top of the loaf. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until risen and cooked through. Wrap in a thick tea towel and set aside to cool.
Dust with icing sugar to serve.

* I used a regular 20cm ring pan.

Makes 1 large loaf

Chocolate, pistachio and cranberry panettone

20 comments:

sweetalmond said...

That looks super light and delicious!
Happy New year to you too!

Snooky doodle said...

Wow nice pannettone. I made one last year but it wasn t much of a sucess . Yours looks so nice and yummy. Happy New year to you too :)

Manggy said...

Happy new year Patricia! How I've missed you! ;)
That looks perfect! If there is any left at all, I suggest french-toasting it too... Yum! :)

kickpleat said...

ooh, this looks like perfection! i've never had home baked panettone...only ones from bakeries. i'll bet this one is a winner.

LyB said...

I'll echo Mark's comment, I missed you too! :) I have wanted to make panettone for a while now, and I wouldn't have thought of adding chocolate, what a great idea. Happy New Year, Sweetie! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy new year Patricia ! Best wishes for 2009 !
Very nice panettone !

pam said...

So glad you're back! This sounds so good. I do so wish that I could bake even half as good as you!

Anonymous said...

The dried cranberries look beautiful in the bread! Happy new year, Patricia!

Chris said...

Your chocolate-studded panettone looks absolutely delicious. Keep the holidays alive! :)

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and delicious. I love cranberries, pistachio and chocolate but never would have thought to combine them! Very well done!

Elle said...

Happy New Year! What a gorgeous bread with the sparkle of cranberries, sweetness of chocolate, and zing of pistachios.

Sarah Jane said...

Compared to all I've heard about panettones taking days to make, this one looks kinda doable. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Deeba PAB said...

Absolutely wistful...what a beautiful panettone. Never made one before, & am in love with what you put into yours Patricia. Have a wonderful 2009!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and delicious panettone!
Happy New Year!

Half Baked said...

That looks beautiful as well as delicious. love the dried cranberries and chocolate!

Nic said...

All my favourite ingredients Patricia - looks beautiful!
Best wishes for 2009!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Sweet Almond, thank you!
xx

Natalie, this is an easy to follow recipe.
Thank you!

Mark, and I have missed you too, my dear friend!
xoxo

Kickpleat, this is a keeper. :D

LyB, you are such a darling, thank you! Missed you too!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Vanille, thank you, sweetie!

Pam, you are so kind. Thank you!

Lydia, thank you, my dear!

Chris, I'm all for holiday food! :D
Thank you!

Lisa, love them all, too - pistachios are delicious, aren't they?

Elle, thank you!

Sarah Jane, this is an easy way out. :D
Thank you for stopping by!

Deeba, darling, thank you! I wish you the same!
xoxo

Linda, thank you!

Half Baked, cranberries and chocolate are so good together, aren't they? :D

Nic, thank you, sweetie!

Eileen said...

What a beautiful loaf of Panettone. And it's filled with all of my favorites!

Jen Yu said...

Just lovely! I am crazy for panettone, but never saw a combination like this. I think this flavor would definitely win me over :) Happy new year, my dear!

Anonymous said...

My dear Patricia, Happy New Year. Your baking and cooking adventures always inspire me! I hope 2009 is a lovely year for you and your family.
Best, mari
(Please note, I have a new blog address. Sorry for the inconvenience).

Related Posts with Thumbnails