Friday, June 19, 2009

Onion tartlets

Onion tartlets / Tortinhas de cebola

Two people I hold very dear will be turning away at the blog upon seeing this recipe: my brother JP and my good friend C. - they hate onions with every fiber of their beings! :D

I’m not a fan of raw onions, but love them cooked or roasted. In these tartlets the onion slices are cooked in butter for a good while and after being mixed with the other filling ingredients and baked they became really soft, almost sweet.

The dough shrunk in the oven, resulting in smaller tart cases – because of that, there wasn’t much room for the filling, causing it to leak (I used loose-bottomed pans). The great flavor made me forget all the trouble. :D

Onion tartlets / Tortinhas de cebola

Onion tartlets
from Australian Gourmet Traveller

Tarte:
250g plain flour
125g cold unsalted butter, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Onion filling:
60g unsalted butter
600g (about 2 large) onions, cut in half then thinly sliced
3 eggs, beaten
200ml crème fraîche*
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Start with the dough: process flour, butter and salt in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg, then while pulsing gradually add 2-3 tablespoons iced water until pastry forms into a ball. Transfer to a floured surface, knead for 30 seconds, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Roll out pastry to 5mm thick on a floured surface, cut out four 16cm-diameter rounds and use to line four 12cm-diameter tart pans, trimming excess pastry with a knife. Prick dough with a fork and place pans in freezer for 10 minutes, then bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Set aside until ready to use.
For onion filling, melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until softened but not brown. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Whisk eggs, crème fraîche and nutmeg together and season with salt and black pepper. Add to onions and combine well. Divide filling among tart pans and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or cold.

* I’ve never seen crème fraîche around here, so I added lime juice to heavy (whipping) cream and set aside, in room temperature, until thick

Serves 4 – I halved the recipe and got six 9cm tartlets

Onion tartlets / Tortinhas de cebola

20 comments:

Heather said...

WHAT?! Oh my goodness! My mouth is liter watering right now! This looks like the most scrumptious thing ever!

Manggy said...

I have a friend who's like that too-- I'm like, "Are you CRAZY?!" Onions are the awesomest thing ever. More pretty tartlets for you and me then! Yummm! :)

Aimée said...

Onions just might be my favorite vegetable. I would appreciate this tart and the care you took to make them so pretty!

mycookinghut said...

Yumm.. delicious!

Snooky doodle said...

drooling!!! I love onions and these look great!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I am the same -- I cannot eat raw onions at all, nor can I stand the smell of them. But cooked onions, especially when they have been caramelized -- oh yes, I love them very much.

Anh said...

I do not take raw onion, but in these beautiful tartlets, oh yes!

And I love your photos, Pat. They are beautiful.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

I love onions either raw or cooked. These tarts are perfect...great for brunch.

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm buttery creamy onions in a tart shell - perfect!!!

Parita said...

I too dont like the raw onions, but just love the cooked ones, tarts look mouth watering!

Deborah said...

I love onions in any form. This is the kind of recipe that is made for me!

pam said...

Those are lovely! You make everything so pretty.

I'm with you, I don't care for raw onions, but cooked they are fantastic.

Katie said...

These look delicious. I would love some for my lunch, I love onion things.

test it comm said...

Those onion tartlettes look great!

Emily said...

I wouldn't be able to stop eating these! They look amazing. I love caramelized onions and pastry.

Anonymous said...

I'm like you...not big on raw onions, but love them cooked - sauteed, roasted, grilled, whatever. These tarts look and sound delicious.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Heather, thank you, sweetie!
xx

Mark, hahaha, you crack me up. Let's eat the tartlets, then! :D

Aimée, you are far too kind, dearie! Thank you!

Leemei, thank you!

Natalie, I love onions, too! Tks!

Lydia, I'm glad I'm in such great company when it comes to taste. ;)

Anh, thank you, darling!
xoxo

Pete, you are just like me hubby, he loves onions no matter what. :D

Ashley, I'm glad you like them!

Parita, thank you!

Deb, have some! :)

Pam, and you are always so sweet, my dear, thank you!

Katie, thank you!

Kevin, thank you!

Emily, I'm in for anything pastry, too. :D
Thank you!

Slice of Sueshe, onions turn into a whole new thing once heat is involved, don't you think?
Thank you for commenting!

gine said...

Those look really really tasty ^^!! XOXO

lululu said...

i'm so making these!!!! they look mouth-watering.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! These look so delectable, I want to eat them NOW and it's almost 11 pm. I'd have the worse case of indigestion ever, but the taste would be worth it. Thank you for this recipe, now I just need to go figure out and transfer grams into cups and teaspoons etc.

Related Posts with Thumbnails