Monday, November 30, 2009

Almond, vanilla and raspberry friands

Almond, vanilla and raspberry friands / Friands de baunilha, amêndoa e framboesa

The egg white saga goes on: what to do with all those poor egg whites left from the almost insane ice cream making going on in my kitchen? I did bake a batch of meringues last Saturday, but they ended up in the garbage can. I’m glad Julie Le Clerc’s adorable book was around – these friands are delicious.

Speaking of sagas, I don’t get all the hate towards “New Moon” – sure, it’s no “Raging Bull”, but that doesn’t mean it’s crap, either. I haven’t read the books but adored the movies, despite Bella’s annoying inferiority complex. Not to mention that Taylor Lautner is oh, so cute. :)

Almond, vanilla and raspberry friands / Friands de baunilha, amêndoa e framboesa

Almond, vanilla and raspberry friands
from Little Cafe Cakes

175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup (100g) ground almonds
6 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups (210g) icing sugar, sifted
½ cup (70g) all purpose flour, sifted
1 cup (105g) raspberries, fresh or frozen – I used frozen

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Butter well 10 mini cake or muffin pans.
Place the butter, ground almonds, egg whites, vanilla, icing sugar and flour in a large bowl and stir just until combined.
Spoon the mixture into prepared pans – they should be just over ½ full. Top each friand with 3-4 raspberries. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to stand in pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.

Makes 10 – I halved the recipe, used 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans and got 7 friands

13 comments:

Allie said...

looks yummy!

The Food Librarian said...

Just beautiful. They look so pretty with the rich color of the berries. Lovely! - mary

Taranii said...

yum, they look absolutely delicious!

Anonymous said...

Delicious!

You could also make up some swiss meringue buttercream for any cakes/cupcakes with all of those eggwhites. Also maybe some egg-white scrambled eggs?

Anonymous said...

Beatiful AND delicious looking!!
Ronelle

Lucy said...

These friands are so beautiful! Plus, I adore friands and the flavours in yours - delicious.

Katie said...

What a tasty way of using egg whites. They look fab and so pretty. I love almond and raspberries together

cabin design said...

Those are beautiful! It looks like it has a face in it. I like berries so much that I can't wait to try some!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Allie, thank you!

Mary, how lovely to find out your name. ;)
Thank you!

Taz, thank you!

Alicia, you are right - I'll keep that idea in mind, tks!

Ronelle, thank you!

Lucy, berries are the best, don't you think?
Thank you!

Katie, thank you!

Cabin Design, thank you! It does look like a face, I hadn't noticed it before! :D

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love almonds and berries and these look fabulous. I've never had a friand before and would be curious to try it.

Anonymous said...

I make angel food cake when I've got a lot of spare eggwhites kicking about...It's really yummy and I feel less guilty eating several pieces of that than friands.

linda said...

thank you for this lovely recipe...it peaked my interest & this afternoon i baked these little gems!! sheer perfection & not too sweet...the raspberries did the "talking" & the ground almonds gave the friands a wonderful texture!
patricia, wishing you a joyous 2010!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Linda, I'm so glad to know the recipe worked out for you!
Thank you for letting me know - have a wonderful 2010, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails