Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ovaltine brownies

Ovaltine brownies / Brownies de Ovomaltine

You must be thinking I’m crazy for making brownies after all the food indulgence of the holidays, but in my defense these were made especially for my nephew: he loves brownies and I like spoiling him. :)

The recipe comes from DH magazine - oh, what a surprise – and originally called for Horlicks. Since I’ve never seen it here in Brazil, I slightly adapted the recipe to use Ovaltine instead.

I don’t mean to brag but have the feeling that these got me several points towards becoming his favorite auntie. :)

Ovaltine brownies / Brownies de Ovomaltine

Ovaltine brownies
from Donna Hay magazine

125g dark chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup + ½ tablespoon (157g) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup (131g) brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (125g) all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
½ cup (75g) Ovaltine
½ cup (78g) dark chocolate chips/chunks
Ovaltine extra, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a square 20cm (8in) baking pan and line it with foil, leaving a 2.5cm (1in) overhang. Butter the foil well.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium metal/glass bowl set over simmering water until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
Add the sugar and eggs and stir to combine. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa over the chocolate mixture, add the Ovaltine and stir until smooth. Mix in the chocolate chunks/chips.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until just set – do not overbake.
Cool the cake in the pan, then carefully remove it using the foil handles. Sprinkle with the extra Ovaltine – it will melt and become a sticky topping – and cut into squares.

Makes 16

20 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

My auntie never made me any of these treats! Looks and sounds delicious Patricia!

pam said...

Sweet Patricia, will you be my aunt?

Pei-Lin said...

Patricia, these look so gooey! Are these chewy type of brownies?

Horlicks is very common here ... I guess the British influence is still very strong here today. When I was still in the U.S., I did notice there were certain products that were unavailable or not easily accessible there. For instances, Milo (Nestle), Bovril, Marmite. If you ever come across recipes that call for these items, you now know why ...

Love the yummy shots!! Keep it up, look forward to more from you!

Pei-Lin

Finla said...

I don't mind still indulging after the festivites, but like peter said i too don't have a aunt who make this. We do get horlicks.
They absloutley looks beautiful and delicous.

oneordinaryday said...

Oooh. Chocolatey, gooey, fudgy heaven. Yum.

Barbara said...

I had an aunt like you....she made cookies and cakes and let me help.
Looks like a delicious, gooey, chocolately treat!

Abby said...

I LOVE ovaltine. Never baked with it before, though. Might have to try these!

Brittany (He Cooks She Cooks) said...

Mmm we always have Ovaltine in my house. I think it's time to put it to use brownie-style!

Kana said...

I wish my aunt made fudgy brownies like these when I was little :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

That's amazing, I love ovaltine, so having it in a brownie sounds delicious!

chocolatecup said...

malt brownies. mmm. sounds awesomely awesome:)

Posti4 said...

These look to good to eat! But of course I would eat them even without a glass of milk.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Peter, you are such a dear - thank you!

Pam, yes! ;)

Pei-Lin, they are very fudgy and moist! Thank you for letting me know about those products - the recipe I used is from an Australian magazine, so it makes a lot of sense. :)
Thank you, sweetie!

Happy Cook, thank you for stopping by!

One Ordinary Day, thank you!

Barbara, those are sweet memories, aren't they?
Thank you, darling!

Abby, I eat by the spoonful. Not pretty. :)
Hope you like it!

Brittany, thank you for stopping by!

Maya, I wish I could make you a batch of these, sweetie!

Jen, thank you! I'm glad you like it!

Chocolate Cup, thank you!

The, tks for visiting! They are really fudge, I must warn you. ;)

eatme_delicious said...

I've made chocolate cookies before with ovaltine and they were delicious so I know I'd love these!

Anonymous said...

it looks divine, i'm gonna try this. just a couple of questions, 1st: can i use something instead of ovaltine? 'cause i don't know if i'm gonna find it here in greece. and 2nd, you're saying to leave it less than 30' if it's set, how can i understand that, does it get burnt or sth? ;p
thank you!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, sweetie!
I hope you give these a go, they're luscious!

Motsinutiles, if you're not going to use Ovaltine maybe you should look for a regular brownie recipe.

Unknown said...

Have you seen "AChristmas Story". If not, you absolutely MUST before Christmas. Be prepared ~ you're going to love it. It's quite a tradition here in the USA. Our tv station runs it for 24 hours starting Christmas morning. Your Ovaltine brownies made me think of it. Have a very Merry Christmas 🎄 and Happy New Year. 🍾🍷🎊🎉🎈

Patricia Scarpin said...

Karen, my dear, I have not seen that movie but I know it's a classic! I wish you wonderful holidays, too, thank you for your lovely comment!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

I've made these brownies several times and been remiss in not telling you how much I like them. I was beginning to think I would never find a chocolate brownie recipe I loved until I found these on your blog. They are perfect. Deep chocolate flavor, wonderful moist texture, a little crunch from the chocolate chips and plenty of delicious malt. I made them a couple of days ago for some friends who are visiting from Sweden. They keep saying that they are full, but they can't resist having one more. My husband keeps pretending he's going to get something in the dining room; then coming back with his breath smelling like chocolate. This is impressive, because he's usually indifferent to chocolate.

As always, thank you for being so generous in sharing all these lovely recipes. Your blog is the sweetest place on the internet, literally and figuratively.

Yours,

Ellen

Unknown said...

This recipe was just what I was looking for in a brownie not runny in the middle.. But lovely and fudgey thank you so much x

Related Posts with Thumbnails