Monday, February 1, 2010

White chocolate and cinnamon crème brulée

White chocolate and cinnamon crème brulée / Crème brulée de chocolate branco e canela

I have a new toy and, according to my husband, it has turned me into a very dangerous woman. :)

One of my bosses gave me a kitchen torch as a Christmas gift after his wife read my eggnog brûlée post – how lovely is that?

I thought that using my favorite spice – which happens to be very Christmassy as well – would be a great way to use my gift for the first time; to be on the safe side, I chose a recipe by Donna Hay.

White chocolate and cinnamon crème brulée / Crème brulée de chocolate branco e canela

White chocolate and cinnamon crème brulée
from Donna Hay magazine

1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
¾ cup (180ml) milk
1 cinnamon stick
4 egg yolks
¼ cup + ½ tablespoon (56g) caster sugar
85g white chocolate, melted
4 tablespoons caster sugar, extra

Place the cream, milk and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan over low heat and cook gently until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F; reheat the cream mixture.
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and pale. Pour the warm cream mixture over the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Return to the pan and stir over low heat until the custard is thick and coats the back of a spoon (6-8 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir the custard into the melted chocolate. Pour the mixture through a sieve into four ½-cup (120ml) capacity ovenproof ramekins and place in a deep baking dish. Pour enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until just set. Remove from the oven, let cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.

Sprinkle each brûlée with one tablespoon of extra sugar. Use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar topping.

Serves 4

16 comments:

pam said...

I need a torch!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Patricia, your White Chocolate & Cinnamon Crème Brulée looks heavenly. I'm dangerous around a food processor imagine me with a torch!!!

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. Thank you so much for the Carrot cake – Brazilian style too:)

Spiele said...

wow very good I love this dish wanan try it

Manggy said...

How sweet of your boss!!! :) I love the perfectly crackly top!

CAHİDE said...

Mmmm çok güzel olmuşlar...

Sarah said...

That looks so good! I've always been afraid that I'd mess up creme brulee. Yours looks fabulous!

Emily said...

OH my goodness! I love white chocolate and cinnamon together. This brulee looks amazing.

ChichaJo said...

You have the best boss! What a fantastic gift! Need to get me one of those...The brulee sounds scrumptious :)

Barbara said...

What a super gift! The kids are always asking me what I want... I never can think of anything. But yes, I see that I need a torch! Just so I can make this divine brulee.

chantal33 said...

This recipe looks delicious and photos are very lovely! Once you have a cook torch, you can't live without it ;-))

Anna said...

Wow, chocolate, creme brulee, cinnamon I'm in a spell here, it's like: - Must gooooo to the kitchen and bake one of those babies.LOL

Abby said...

I was given a torch and ramekins years ago by a dear friend. I've never even taken the torch out of the box! Shhh. Don't tell!

These creme brulees are gorgeous!

dining room tables said...

I am amazed with the way you make the brulee. Mine is always the messiest one.

Andrea said...

I’ve been giving hints, to my boyfriend for quite some time now that kitchen torch is the one thing I absolutely must have. He didn't get it yet but hopefully, with more direct approach, he’ll be buying one just before Valentine’s Day. LOL
I love crème burlèe, and I'm sure it's delicious with white chocolate. Yours looks amazing. :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pam, you do! :)

Louise, thank you, sweetie! And I had a laugh with you. :)

Mark, very sweet of him and his wife!

Cahide, thank you - I guess. :)

Sarah, tks! I'm sure yours would be fantastic - not messy at all!

Emily, they are so good together, I had no clue!
Tks!

Joey, I do! It was really thoughtful of him and his wife.
Tks, honey!

Barbara, I hope you get a torch next time, darling!
Thank you!

Chantal, thank you for stopping by! And it's so true - I've already used it for another recipe!

Anna, thank you! I hope you give it a try.

Abby, I promise I won't tell - but only if you start using your precious gift!

Andrea, my fingers are crossed - I hope your boyfriend gets the hints this time! ;)
Thank you, sweetie!

Kana said...

LOVE IT!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails