Saturday, May 29, 2010

Milk chocolate cookies

Milk chocolate cookies / Cookies de chocolate ao leite

Everyone is talking about “Lost” these days and I feel completely left out – I did not watch the show when it started and therefore never followed the episodes.:(

Since I cannot write about that popular show, I’ll choose something even more popular: chocolate. This is one of Lizzie’s gorgeous cookie recipes – the buttered rum meltaways are next on my list.

Milk chocolate cookies

1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
½ cup (45g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
340g (12oz) good-quality milk chocolate, 170g (6oz) coarsely chopped and 170g (6oz) cut into 6mm (¼ in) chunks
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter
1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Melt 170g (6oz) of the coarsely chopped chocolate with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; let cool slightly.
Put chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks*.
Using a 3.75cm (1½ in) ice cream scoop, drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 5cm (2 in) apart. Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces crack, about 15 minutes (cookies should be soft). Let cool on paper on wire racks.
Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

* if you want, chop a little more chocolate and place 2-3 chunks on the top of each cookie before baking them

Makes about 3 dozen – I halved the recipe above, used ½ tablespoon (leveled) of dough per cookie and got 34

12 comments:

Just My Delicious said...

that`s so cute cookies!

agata said...

These cookies look delicious.
These cookies are a great idea for Sunday's baking :-)
I'm saving the recipe.

agata

Cooking Art said...

Well, to be honest :) I have no idea what this movie is about either, but who cares, when see these delicious milk chocolate cookies? :-D

Anonymous said...

These look amazing!

Lisa said...

Delicious recipe. One for me to save for a weekend baking day!

WendyinKK said...

Oh yummy!!!!

Unknown said...

I started following but got "Lost" and never caught back up:-) The bright blue of that tray just intensifies the look of those chocolate cookies. Great job.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Just My, thank you!

Agatka, thank you for stopping by! I'm so glad you liked the recipe!

Cooking Art, thank you! I had a laugh with you. ;)

Michelle, thank you!

Lisa, thank you, sweetie! Hope you like it!

Wendy, thank you!

Wizzy, there's a lot to catch up! :)
I'm glad you like the styling - thank you!

Magic of Spice said...

These cookies would call out to me late at night:) Sound amazing!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Patricia!
I'm preparing my post for this week's foodie days and guess what, July 28 is National Milk Chocolate Day! Your enticing cookie recipe link must be included in my post. Okay?

Thank you so much for sharing...I really really could use just one about now:)

P.S. I never watched Lost either:)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, sweetie! How are you?
Of course you can include my post - I'm honored that you're asking!
xoxo

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Patricia,
There's been a little change in plans. I've decided to go with a post for Horseradish Month instead because I'm not sure I would make it in time for Milk Chocolate Day on the 28th. (I'm not sure I'll make the horseradish post either:)

Thank you so much. I am saving this link, there's always next year!!! Thanks again, Louise

Related Posts with Thumbnails