Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pistachio lime cookies

Pistachio lime cookies / Biscoitinhos de pistache e limão

I’d promised myself I would stop buying cookbooks – because I have so many already – but I’m a very weak person and the so called promise lasted a couple of months, only. :S

In order to feel less of a failure, I’ve switched that promise for another one, much more feasible: start using more the books I already own. Beginning with one I bought several months ago but hadn’t used yet.

Pistachio lime cookies
from Great Cookies: Secrets to Sensational Sweets

2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup (170g/1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, slightly firm
finely grated zest of 4 limes
1 ¼ cups (250g) granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (133g) unsalted pistachio nuts, lightly toasted and chopped

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter with the lime zest on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar in a steady stream and mix until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, then add the lime juice and vanilla, mixing well for about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in two additions mixing until almost combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer, add the pistachios and finish mixing by hand.
Shape the dough into a mound, divide into quarters and roll each into a log 3.75cm (1 ½ in) in diameter - about 15cm (6 in) long. Wrap the logs with plastic*, twisting the ends tightly to secure. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm (this dough will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or may be frozen for 1 month).
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Using a very sharp knife, slice the logs into 6mm (¼ in) thick slices, turning the roll every two or three cuts, and place 5cm (2in) apart on the prepared sheets.
Bake for 8-9 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 2-3 minutes before loosening from the paper with a thin metal spatula. Transfer to a wire rack.
Store the cookies in an airtight container, layered between strips of wax paper, for up to 3 weeks.

* I always use baking paper and a ruler to shape cookie dough logs, like Martha does here – it works really well.

Makes about 60

16 comments:

NikiTheo said...

Mmm... pistachio lime cookies! I love pistachio in cookies. or well in anything. :)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

patricia these look sensational. i am always attracted to pistachios!

Paula said...

with pistachio... so delicious!

Barbara said...

Hello Patricia, it's a while that I'm following your blog, I don't know why I never posted a comment. I like it a lot, my complimnets. These cookies looks goods and I'm sure the taste is faboulous.

ChichaJo said...

Ah, truly the cookie queen you are! :) These sound so delicious! I have to start using my cookbooks more often too!

Abby said...

I've never had pistachio and lime together before, but I love the idea. These cookies are so pretty!

Katie said...

These look delicious. I really done't use lime as often as I should

Unknown said...

Wow! What a combination- pistachio and lime -yum! And I know what you mean about the cookbooks- it's a sickness, what can I do?

schlachtplatte said...

Wow, a combination of two of my favorite flavours! Why did I not have the idea any earlier that pistachio and lemon would go well together? Definitely will give these cookies a try!

The Urban Baker said...

lime, pistachios, mm mm good! i love ice box cookies.
x

Manggy said...

That's a great resolution, Patricia :) (very economical too, lol :) If I haven't cooked from a book I own, I might not have the tools required or it may just be awful.
This would be great dipped in some white chocolate I bet!

Patricia Scarpin said...

NikiTheo, thank you for stopping by!
I love pistachios in just about anything, too. :)

Meeta, thank you, sweetie! Me too!

Paula, thank you!

Barbara, nice to meet you! Tks for commenting - I'm so glad to know you're enjoying the blog!

Joey, thank you, my dear! xoxo

Abby, I think they're wonderful together - thank you, darling!

Katie, thank you! We use limes here a lot, as much as you guys use lemons there.

Yael, thank you! We're addicted, I guess. ;)

Schlachtplatte, tks for stopping by! Actually these were made with limes, but I guess they'd be equally delicious with lemons, too!

Susan, thank you, sweetie!
xx

Mark, let's see if I can keep up with it. :)
And that is a wonderful idea - yum!

schlachtplatte said...

My bad! I'm German and "Lime" is "Limone" in German, so I got confused and wrote "Lemon". Too many languages, too small a brain!

mimi said...

this sounds look a wonderful combination, i'm always looking for new ways to use lime!

Patty said...

These sound fantastic! And I love the flecks of natural and flavorful green - so pretty.

elaine said...

what a great combination, I had to try it ! Here's a link to a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stillreflections/5365312860/

Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails