Friday, January 28, 2011

Spiced banana breakfast loaf

Spiced banana breakfast loaf / Bolo de banana e especiarias

Sometimes when I’m going through my cookbooks I say things out loud: things like “I am so making this”, or “I’ll make this next weekend”, and so on; just so you know it, the hubby doesn't find it weird. :)

A couple of weeks ago I was “talking” to my books again when I said I was going to make a banana cake. “Another one?” Joao asked. I smiled back at him and said nothing, but thought “hey, don’t you know me at all?” – there’s no such thing as too many banana cakes. ;)

Spiced banana breakfast loaf
from Baking by Flavor

2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons (157g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup (83g) pecans, lightly toasted and cooled completely, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter and flour a 22.5x12.5x7.5cm (19x5x3in) loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves into a large bowl. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar, eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla. Pour the egg-banana mixture over the dry ingredients, add the pecans and mix until the particles of flour are absorbed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until golden and rise and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the loaf in the pan on a rack for 5-8 minutes, then carefully unmold onto another rack. Cool completely.

Makes 12 slices – I made 2/3 of the recipe above and used a 8x19x5cm loaf pan; the cake did not rise much, and the texture was a bit on the dense side, but it tasted delicious

19 comments:

Just Cake Girl said...

so lovely :)))

Nina at Salt said...

Agreed! Looks wonderful!

HappyFroggy said...

Yumm, this looks amazing, I love banana bread, and spices too, perfect combination =)

a frog in the cottage said...

GOD ! WHAT A BANANA CAKE !! I love all the spices you added, my stomach's crying for a big piece !!

No Raisins on My Parade said...

Yum! I love banana! I just made these yummy banana cupcakes with peanut butter icing. :)

http://www.noraisinsonmyparade.com/2011/01/banana-bo-bana-cupcakes-with-peanut.html

-Marissa

Priya Suresh said...

Tremendous loaf, amazing..

cocoa and coconut said...

I love your presentation! That ribbon makes it look so professional

Lynn said...

I like how your recipe has cloves in it -- I've got to try it!

Katie said...

Looks delicious. Anything baked for breakfast is a winner in my book

Maria said...

Yum, I love the spices in this! Gorgeous loaf!

Lauren at KeepItSweet said...

Definitely never too many banana cakes:-)

Artemis Tsipi said...

I absolutely agree! Banana breads are not enough no matter how many they are! Keep making them. Just, can't get enough of them. I know.

Julia @Mélanger said...

I am always talking to myself, and my baking books, too. Glad someone else does it! :)

So, with all this banana bread experience under your belt, what's your favourite?

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I can never have too many good banana bread recipes. This looks great and I like the spices added in :).

Patty said...

beautiful banana bread! I can never get enough either. I think this recipe could use another tsp of baking powder - then the loaf would probably rise that little bit extra :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Just Cake Girl, thank you!

Nina, thank you!

Happy Froggy, thank you! The spices go so well with the banana!

Clarinette, I wish I could send you a slice! ;)

Marissa, thank you for the link!

Priya, thank you!

Brittany, thank you, sweetie! You are far too kind.

Lynn, all the spices work beautifully combined with the banana. Thank you!

Katie, I have got to agree with you. ;)
Thank you!
xx

Maria, thank you!

Lauren, ;)

Artemis, I will! It's a promise. ;)
Tks for stopping by!

Julia, I'm glad to know I am in such great company, dearie!
Mu favorite banana cake is this one - so many of my followers on Twitter have made it and they loved it:
http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/2010/08/banana-streusel-snack-cake.html

Xiaolu, thank you, dear!
xx

Patty, thank you! That is a great tip - I'll try that next time!
xx

susan said...

beautiflu photo, patricia! can't wait to bake together, again!!! xx

ma'chiks said...

Hi..I must say here all your baking/cooking are marvelous and that make your blog so excellent!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Susan, my dear, can't wait to bake with you again! xx

Ma'Chicks, thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you like the recipes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails