Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Peanut butter financiers

Peanut butter financiers / Financiers de manteiga de amendoim

Every time I get a new cookbook it takes me forever to choose which recipe to try from it first – the exception was Rose's Heavenly Cakes: I had to start with the weirdest recipe (in my opinion, of course). :)

I have made quite a few financier/friand recipes so far and these have gone straight to the #1 spot around here (sorry, pear friands). :)

Peanut butter financiers
from Rose's Heavenly Cakes

75g whole almonds
10 tablespoons (140g) unsalted butter, chopped
1 cup + 1 tablespoon (148g) icing sugar
6 tablespoons (60g) all purpose flour
4 large egg whites
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°C; butter and flour sixteen ¼ cup (60ml) capacity financier molds.
Spread the almonds in a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, stirring a couple of times, or until fragrant. Let cool completely, then process the almonds with the sugar in a food processor until very fine. Pulse in the flour.
In a small saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until melted – do not use a dark saucepan otherwise you won’t be able to check the color of the butter. Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching carefully to prevent burning, until the butter turn dark golden. Immediately pour the butter through a strainer into a small heatproof bowl.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add the almond flour mixture, beat well with a whisk, then gradually drizzle the hot butter over the mixture, whisking well. Add the peanut butter and whisk until evenly incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared molds, filling each about two-thirds full. Place the molds onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the financiers are golden and spring back when lightly pressed in the centers.
Let the financiers cool in the molds for 5 minutes, then carefully unmold onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
Financiers can be kept in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days, or 5 days in the fridge.

Makes 16 – I halved the recipe above, used 2 tablespoon-capacity pans and got 12 financiers

13 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

I love the ingredients in this! They sound very unique, and they look golden too.

WendyinKK said...

I've been planning to bake this one from Rose's book since last year when I got it.
And like I always say, you always seem to know what's in my pantry, LOL. I just got a bottle of peanut butter 2 days back, and it's a rare item in my household.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Yay I have this book already! Unfortunately no cure friand molds, but with a recommendation like this I may have to remedy that soon!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers said...

Oh goodness these sound divine! Anything with peanut butter is always delicious!

Katie said...

Looks like I need to buy some financier molds!

Priya Suresh said...

Irresistible financiers, sooo tempting..

Dee D. said...

Haha, same with me! I sit there for ages just going back and forth between the pages, and then decide on the recipe with the strangest name! The financiers look delicious and sound it too :) I love anything with peanut butter in it!

Rochel said...

These look amazing. I wonder how they would taste if they were dipped a little bit in melted chocolate. I might just have to find out. Thanks

Lynn said...

Oh! I love peanut butter and what better way to use it? Great idea!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Brittany, thank you!

Wendy, that is so nice - I love it that we are in sync! :)

Xiaolu, before I bought these molds I used muffin pans. :)
Thank you, sweetie!
xoxo

Blue-Eyed Bakers, thank you for stopping by! I agree - peanut butter is always delicious! :)

Katie, before I bought these I used muffin pans! :)

Pryia, thank you!

Dee D., thank you for stopping by! Good to know I am in such good company regarding recipe choices. ;)

Rochel, thank you! That idea sounds amazing! :)

Lynne, thank you! I'm glad you like it!

eatme_delicious said...

Excellent choice for your first recipe to try out of this book!! They look amazing. I love peanut butter in baked goods.

im_elda said...

I just made these and oh so yummmyyyy... I topped mine with Royce Milk Chocolate... I think I gained 5lbs already...hahah.. thanks for the recipe!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Imelda, I'm so glad to hear that! Tks for letting me know how the recipe turned out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails