Monday, November 21, 2011

Lemony nectarine cake + Bill Condon

Lemony nectarine cake / Bolo de nectarina e limão siciliano

I always say that a good director can get blood out of a stone – that is why I had a feeling that “Breaking Dawn” would be the best movie of the Twilight saga. I adore some of Bill Condon’s work – both "Gods and Monsters" and "Kinsey" are part of my list; he got a good performance out of Brendan Fraser – a miracle! – and made it possible for me to stand Beyonce and Eddie Murphy for two long hours. :D

Now, the cake: very tender, with a delicious lemon hint. I think that a few raspberries scattered over the batter with the nectarine slices would be a good idea.

Lemony nectarine cake
slightly adapted from the always gorgeous Donna Hay Magazine

175g unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (162g) granulated sugar
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
¼ cup (65g) plain yogurt
2 nectarines, sliced
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter a 20cm (8in) round baking pan, line the bottom with baking paper and butter the paper as well.
Place the butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition – scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt over the mixture. Add the yogurt and beat until just combined.
Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Top with the nectarine slices and bake for 50-60 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan, over a wire rack, for 15 minutes then carefully unmold. Remove the paper then invert the cake again. Cool completely and dust with icing sugar before serving.

Serves 6-8

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This cake is so pretty with the fruit showing.

Laura said...

This looks so delicious and reminds me of a plum cake I made over the summer. Oh, how many days until nectarines will be in season again?! Too many....
http://tutti-dolci.com/2011/07/25/plum-cake/

Sara said...

Gorgeous cake! Love the flavors, it looks really delicious. :)

argone said...

I like lemony cakes ... this one seems so smooth !

Anonymous said...

It's like I'm smelling this cake, just baked and still warm.
It's not nectarine season here, so maybe I can use Peach, and your suggestion to add raspberries sounds amazing (I still have some frozen).
By the way, today is my movie day, and guess what, my husband promise me to see Breaking Dawn.

JustHeather said...

I just made this cake last night and it turned out wonderful! Thank you for the recipe, it was very easy to make.

Related Posts with Thumbnails