Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nigella’s everyday brownies

Nigella's everyday brownies

These are called “everyday brownies” but that doesn’t mean you can eat them every day – that would be nice, though. ;) Or you can just pretend you never read my post and eat them on a daily basis – who am I to judge, anyway?

For some reason the chocolate chips sank to the bottom of the pan, but let me assure you that it did not make much difference as far as flavor is concerned – it just bothered me, the baker; I don’t remember anyone saying anything about that while tasting the brownies. ;)

Nigella's everyday brownies

Nigella’s everyday brownies
from the gorgeous and delicious Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home

¾ cup (68g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
10 tablespoons (1 ¼ sticks/140g) unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups (306g) packed light brown sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
170g (6oz) milk chocolate, chopped into small nuggety chunks (or 1 cup chips)
confectioners' sugar, to dust, optional

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F; lightly butter a 32.5x22.5cm (13x9in) baking pan, line with foil leaving an overhang in two opposite sites then butter the foil as well*. Whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and pinch of salt in a bowl; set aside.
Melt the butter over a gentle heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the sugar, stirring with a wooden spoon (still over a low heat) to help it blend with the melted butter. Stir in the flour mixture - when mixed (this will be a very dry mixture, and not wholly blended at this stage), remove from the heat.
In a bowl or jug, whisk the eggs with the vanilla extract and then mix into the brownie mixture in the pan. Stir in the chopped chocolate and quickly pour and scrape into the prepared pan, spreading the mixture with a spatula then bake for about 20-25 minutes. It will look set, dark and dry on top, but when you feel the surface, you will sense it is still wibbly underneath and a cake tester will come out gungy. This is desirable.
Transfer the pan to a rack and cool completely before cutting. Sift with icing sugar before serving.

The brownies can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in airtight container (will keep for total of 5 days).

* I made the exact recipe above using a 20x30cm (8x12in) pan

Makes 20

9 comments:

Three-Cookies said...

If these are everyday brownies, that about the other brownies?:) I heard that if you coat chocolate chips in flour before adding to batter it will not sink to the bottom. I have never tested this myself

Unknown said...

oHHHH love brownies, these look scrumptious!!

MyFudo™ said...

Why not? I would love to have these delicious heavenly treats everyday. I know my blood sugar level will probably frown...Every other day perhaps, then? I will have to put this in the must try folder. Thanks for sharing!

cocoa and coconut said...

I love brownies. That texture is just so good and tempting! I would really like to eat these everyday..and knowing Nigella, she probably does!

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, just drooling over that brownies.

Rivki Locker said...

Good thing I skipped the intro paragraph. I think I'll make some of these every day. YUM! :)

mari said...

One word for ya: YUM.

And also, I am a big Nigella fan. And I love chocolate. So I'll give this recipe a try! xo, m

ChichaJo said...

I will have to stop myself from eating these everyday!

Anonymous said...

'everyday brownies'... if only I could eat brownies every day without gaining a pound.

Related Posts with Thumbnails