Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gingerbread chocolate madeleines

Gingerbread chocolate madeleines / Madeleines de gingerbread e chocolate

My last holiday post almost turned out like a big FAIL: after baking these delicious and oh, so tender madeleines I decided to deep them on a chocolate glaze I’d seen in one of my cookbooks. But the problem was that the glaze never set. Not ever. So I recommend dipping them in tempered chocolate to avoid that problem (just so you know it, the madeleines are great without the chocolate coating, too).
There was one good thing about the whole story, though: I adapted the madeleine recipe from my newest cookbook love. :D

Happy Holidays!

Gingerbread chocolate madeleines / Madeleines de gingerbread e chocolate

Gingerbread chocolate madeleines
adapted from Short and Sweet - mine was bought here

Madeleines:
2 large eggs
1/3 cup + ½ tablespoon (73g) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
¾ cup (105g) all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger

Chocolate coating:
75g dark chocolate, melted and tempered

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Butter thirty 1-tablespoon capacity madeleine molds.
Place the eggs and sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 3-4 minutes or until thick and doubled in volume. Add the vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves into the bowl and gently fold into the egg mixture. Gently fold in the butter and crystallized ginger. Spoon the batter into the molds until they’re ¾ full. Bake for about 10 minutes or until risen and lightly golden. Remove from the oven and unmold the madeleines onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Deep them in chocolate if desired.
Keep the madeleines in an airtight container to keep them from drying out.

Makes 30

9 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

These look perfect! Finally a good use for my madeleine pan!

Priya Suresh said...

Elegant madeleines,looks pretty addictive.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

Three of my favorites in one: gingerbread, chocolate and madeleines!

argone said...

I love the madeleines !!

Cynthia said...

Merry Christmas, Patricia!

Anonymous said...

Happy holidays Patricia! Thanks for all the inspiration this year :) x

Elpiniki said...

They look so beautiful!
Happy holidays for you and your family!
Love your blog! Nice finding you!
Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

Rumana Rawat said...

Superb looking madeleines:)

Anonymous said...

I just got a madeleine pan for Christmas- I'll definitely have to try these!

Related Posts with Thumbnails