Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Caramelized pecan-orange biscotti

Caramelized pecan-orange biscotti / Biscotti de pecã caramelada e laranja

I was writing something about my newest obsession – biscotti – but then I heard the news that Gary Oldman has finally been nominated for an Academy Award and I simply forgot what I was doing. :) Being the walking contradiction that I am – someone who doesn’t care for the Oscars but always hopes that her favorites win – my heart just lit up. ♥

Oh, the biscotti: these are delicious beyond imagination. I mean, really: chopped praliné? In cookie form? How can that not be fantastic? ;)

Caramelized pecan-orange biscotti
from the delicious The Good Cookie: Over 250 Delicious Recipes from Simple to Sublime

Pecan praliné:
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60ml) water
1 cup (110g) pecan halves

Biscotti:
3 cups (420g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
finely grated zest of 4 oranges

Make the pecan praliné: lightly brush a baking sheet with vegetable oil. In a medium-sized heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and bring the syrup to a boil. Cook without stirring, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush, until the syrup turns a dark caramel. Immediately add the pecans and stir to coat with the caramel. Quickly turn the mixture out onto the oiled baking sheet. Cool for 20 minutes, or until hardened. Transfer the praliné to a cutting board and, using a large knife, finely chop it. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt on low speed until combined. In a large glass-measuring cup, gently whisk together the olive oil, eggs, yolk and orange zest. Add this mixture all at once to the dry ingredients and mix, still on low speed, just until combined; do not over-mix. Add the chopped pecan praliné and mix for a few seconds, until blended.
Scrape the dough out onto a floured work surface and divide it into thirds. Shape each portion into a 30cm (12inch) long log. Transfer the logs to one of the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 7.5cm (3in) apart (the logs will spread). With the heel of your hand, flatten the logs slightly, until they are about 5cm (2in) wide. Place the baking sheet on the upper oven rack and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the dough is set. Set the baking sheet on a wire rack and cool for 10-15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C/325°F.
Slide a pancake turner under each log to loosen it from the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the logs to a cutting surface. Line the baking sheet with clean parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs on the diagonal into 1.25cm (½in) slices. Arrange the slices cut side down and 2.5cm (1in) apart on the two baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Transfer the biscotti to a wire rack and cool completely.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

Makes about 54 biscotti – I halved the recipe above, shaped the dough into a 30cm (12in) long log and got 16 large biscotti

7 comments:

pam said...

Thanks for this recipe!!! Biscotti is the only thing I attempt to bake.

Lora said...

I love the addition of the pecan praline to the biscotti. Brilliant! these look so flavorful.

lavantalimon said...

I lıke ıt:) very nice my blog in the "nut biscotti" by

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a prefectly baked biscotti, looks absolutely stunning and incredible..

Abby said...

The only "Oscar" movie I've seen is The Help, and while I don't think the MOVIE is best-picture worthy I'm definitely pulling for Viola Davis!

I adore pecans. And biscotti. Wonderful for breakfast with a mug of hot coffee!

Posti4 said...

I have a tiny bottle of "gusto Fior d'arancio" that I bought at the store.It so cute and I was intrigued. It says the taste of orange flower. It says 1/2 vial for a delicate aroma. FOr cakes bisquits and cooked cream. WOuld I be able to use it in this biscotti? Would I take out something from the recipe or just an addition? Thank you

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Posti4 - I'm not familiar with this product you have, I cannot say for sure it would work in this recipe...

Related Posts with Thumbnails