Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cherry-plum preserves + scones

Cherry plum preserves + scones / Geléia de cereja e ameixa + scones

I usually do not buy cookbooks without taking a look inside their pages first – I have done that in a few occasions and got really disappointed; but after reading the reviews for "Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours" and seeing a photo of one of the cookie recipes I felt I would love the book – and I did. It’s full of great recipes, beautiful photos and there are several recipes for preserves, which is something I intend to make more often – especially after tasting this cherry-plum preserves, which is one of the most delicious recipes I have ever made. I am sure the preserves would work beautifully over some panna cotta or served along a slice of simple pound cake or angel cake, but I went the traditional way and baked some scones to serve with it. Fantastic combination.

Cherry-plum preserves
from the gorgeous Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours

900g (2 pounds) cherries, pitted and halved
900g (2 pounds) ripe plums, pitted and cut into about 1cm (½in) cubes
½ cup (120ml) fresh orange juice
3 cups (600g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (80ml) fresh lemon juice

Combine the cherries, plums and orange juice in a non-reactive large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the sugar and lemon juice and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the fruit has fallen apart into a thick, chunky puree, about 20 minutes – the plums dissolved completely and the cherries remained in pieces.
Let cool completely, store in jars and keep in the fridge.

Makes 7 pints (4 liters) – I halved the recipe above and used 500g cherries + 400g plums

Simple scones
from the always amazing Donna Hay Magazine

2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, cold and chopped
¾ cup (180ml) whole milk + a little extra for brushing

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to work it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Use a flat-bladed knife or a fork to mix in the milk until the dough is soft and sticky. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface and press into a round approximately 3cm (1.2in) thick.
Use a 5cm (2in) plain cutter to cut rounds and place onto the prepared sheet. Brush the tops with milk and bake for 15 minutes or until risen and lightly golden.
Serve warm with the preserves.

Makes 12

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking to buy Sarabeth's Bakery book, but not sure do it because I also like to review pages before buying, I like when cook books have pictures on each recipe. Now I know I have to include it in my list, so thanks.
By the way, love the scones and of course, the preserve.

Anonymous said...

The cherry-plum combination sounds delicious. Do you know how long the preserve will keep in the fridge?

Priya Suresh said...

Nothing will beat the homemade preserves..

Domesblissity said...

Patricia, this looks so good. I was wondering, if you got a minute, would you like to link this recipe up to my second "Thriving on Thursdays" Linky party here in Australia? I know a lot of my readers would love to see your recipes.

http://www.domesblissity.blogspot.com/2012/01/thriving-on-thursdays-linky-party-2.html

Anne @ Domesblissity xx

El said...

The jam looks amazing!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tutti Dolci, I'm not sure how long it lasts, but I would guess 1 month, easily.

Unknown said...

hai un blog splendido

Related Posts with Thumbnails