Monday, July 9, 2012

Blackcurrant-sour cream coffee cake

Blackcurrant sour cream coffee cake / Bolo de creme azedo e geléia de cassis

I have just watched "The Amazing Spider-Man" and even though I think that the "amazing" of that title is a bit too presumptuous I liked the movie: it's a really good cast, far better than the first Spider-Man movie directed by Sam Raimi. But Raimi had Willem Dafoe as the villain, and Willem Dafoe as the villain is just perfection; actually, Dafoe as anything is perfection. :)
In a perfect world, Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man would be directed by Sam Raimi.

Well, the world is not perfect but this cake is: the batter is delicious and the sour cream makes the cake extremely tender; I used blackcurrant preserves here because I'd bought a jar of it on a whim but any flavor will do: use your favorite.

Blackcurrant-sour cream coffee cake
slightly adapted from the wonderful Food & Wine

2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks/226g) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream*
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup blackcurrant preserves
confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter and flour a 25cm (10in) Bundt pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the sour cream and vanilla. On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients just until incorporated – batter will be thick.
Spread all but ½ cup of the batter into the prepared pan. Using the back of a spoon, make a trough in the batter, all the way around the pan. Mix the preserves with the reserved batter and spoon it into the trough.
Bake the cake for about 1 hour, or until it begins to pull away from the pan and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, remove the pan and let cool completely.
Sift with the confectioners' sugar and serve.

* homemade sour cream: to make 1 cup of sour cream, mix 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream with 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk until it starts to thicken. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 1 hour or until thicker (I usually leave mine on the counter overnight – except on very warm nights – and it turns out thick and silky in the following morning; refrigerate for a creamier texture)

Serves 8-10

10 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I've never tried blackcurrants but this looks absolutely scrumptious!

Grace @ WhimsyLoft dot com said...

i'm so glad i found your blog. love your recipes, makes me drool all over haha... and really motivate me to bake more.

xx
grace

Anaise said...

I agree, the new Spiderman was way better than I expected too, based on the Raimi predecessor. But Spiderman directed by Sam MENDES... now that would be worth the ticket price!

Annie @ Annie's Noms said...

Oh wow, this look delicious! I love anything with blackcurrants, this is making me drool! I want to make it now! :)

hui c said...

thanks for sharing this.. i'll be trying it out real soon! btw, i really enjoy reading your blog ^^

Unknown said...

This looks simple and delicious!! yum yum!!!

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

LOVE Andrew Garfield! Did you see 'Never Let Me Go' ?? He was so good! Thank you for posting a jammy pound cake, I've been looking for a recipe I trust for ages....

Patricia Scarpin said...

Grace, thank you!

Anaise, I cannot wait for the 007 movie directed by Mender - it will rock, I love that director!

Hui C, thank you!

Melissa, I haven't watched that movie yet, I don't like Keira Knightley. :S

Chickie said...

I just made this cake but added dried cherries and it was a hit among my family, and blackcurrants are foreign to them! Love this recipe!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Chickie! That is excellent news - thank you for letting me know how the recipe turned out for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails