Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Almond madeleines with limoncello glaze

Almond madeleines with limoncello glaze / Madeleines de amêndoa com cobertura de limoncello

It’s no secret I adore the Internet and to the list of great things that can be done with it I’ll add planning trips – flights, hotels, restaurant reservations, everything can be done with the computer, not to mention the travel blogs out there and their precious information about the places around the world – my dear friend Tania’s blog was a fantastic source when I was planning my trip to New York, a must-read for a foodie like me.
The hubby and I have plans to go to Paris again sometime in the future and when we do I know exactly where to go for posts not only about the City of Light but also about other destinations in Europe: my lovely and dearest friend Tina’s blog. Too bad it’s just for those who read Portuguese because she’s an amazing writer and her posts are a delight even if you’re not planning any trips.

Speaking of Paris and Europe I bring you today these madeleines: a very French treat with a delicious Italian touch provided by the limoncello.

Almond madeleines with limoncello glaze
adapted from Martha’s lemon madeleines

Madeleines:
50g all purpose flour
½ cup (50g) almond meal
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
80g granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
75g unsalted butter, melted

Glaze:
¾ cup (105g) confectioners’ sugar
½ tablespoon limoncello, or more to taste – I used homemade
about 1 teaspoon water, if necessary

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and almond meal, removing any lumps. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the salt until frothy, then whisk in the sugar. Whisk in the extracts followed by the flour mixture. Fold in the butter. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Brush twenty-four 1-tablespoon capacity madeleines molds with melted butter and refrigerate for 5 minutes. Fill each mold ¾ of its capacity and bake for 8-10 minutes or until risen, golden and springy to touch. Remove from the oven and immediately unmold onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
Glaze: sift the confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Gradually add the limoncello, stirring until you have a drizzable consistency – add more limoncello or the water if necessary. Drizzle over the cooled madeleines and set aside until glaze hardens, about 15 minutes.

Makes 24

5 comments:

Lisa Ho said...

Beautiful bake Patricia :D

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I love madeleines; these are beautiful with that glaze!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen said...

These look gorgeous and I love the sound of the limoncello glaze!

Rhiannon at After Plumcake said...

After putting off making madeleines for more than a year (I live about 10 meters from the ocean so humidity and barometric pressure can wreak havoc on my baked goods) I made these last night and they were exquisite.

The only adaptation I made was to brown the butter first to enhance the nuttiness.

I'm telling myself I'll double the recipe next time because I only got fifteen cakes and my stand mixer does better when there's more butter to aerate, but I think we both know the real reason is so I can eat one (or two, or six) and still have enough to put out for tea.

Gracias desde Mexico!

Rhiannon

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Rhiannon!
I love the idea of browning the butter, excellent! I am so glad to know the recipe worked for you. Thank you for taking the time to write!
xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails