Monday, May 13, 2013

Lamington bars - lamingtons for the lazy

Lamington bars / Barrinhas lamington

People often tell me that they admire me for cooking and baking so frequently, and I reply that preparing food really makes me happy. However, I do have some lazy moments, too, of course, and these bars are proof: I’ve always wanted to make lamingtons but kept postponing it because the thought of baking the cake, cutting it into squares, dipping them in chocolate and rolling in coconut made me tired already – not to mention the versions in which the cake squares are filled! :) It’s a lot of work, and I’m not always up for it. Therefore, Donna Hay’s bars are perfect: they are lamingtons made in half the time, or even less, and they taste great.

Lamington bars
from the über beautiful Donna Hay Magazine

Cake:
125g unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup (120ml) whole milk, room temperature
1 cup (100g) sweetened shredded coconut, for sprinkling over the bars

Chocolate icing:
¾ cup (105g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
1/3 cup (80ml) boiling water
1 ½ tablespoons (21g) unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) baking pan, line it with foil and butter ht the foil as well.
Cake: beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt over the mixture and mix until well combined. Stir in the milk. Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer – the cake won’t color much. Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack.
Icing: place the icing sugar, cocoa, water and butter in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Cut the cake into squares and carefully pour over icing. Top with coconut.

Makes 20

7 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I've never tried lamingtons - these flavors are delicious together!

shaz said...

I love lamingtons. Its something I always look for when I am in australia. love this 'lazy' version. I might just try this out.

Dina said...

i love making bars. these are great!

anilou said...

Patricia, sometimes we cheat and buy a premade, square vanilla or chocolate sponge cake from the supermarket and cut into pieces, dip in runny chocolate icing and roll in dessicated coconut. Almost as good as making from scratch!
Donna Hay Magazine is very beautiful, I agree, she is such a great food stylist.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anilou, that is a very good idea. ;)

marianne said...

well, I made them for work and honestly, the people were dragging their fingers throught the chocolate and coconut leftovers. This is a keeper.

Ps I did dipp in chocolate and roll in coconut but had fun. If you make cake from scratch, let cool and refrig. before dipping.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Marianne, that is excellent news! \0/ Thank you for letting me know how the recipe turned out.
And thank you for the tip of refrigerating the cake, that's very useful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails