Monday, October 21, 2013

Raspberry jam rolls and "Hannibal"

Raspberry jam rolls / Pãezinhos de geleia de framboesa

After some thought, I decided to put Game of Thrones aside and go for something more interesting: between Bates Motel and Hannibal I ended up choosing the latter, Mads Mikkelsen and the comments left on my blog in Portuguese being the reasons. I’m halfway through the show and loving each and every minute of it: the dark atmosphere, the music, the writing and the great acting are amazingly combined and what a surprise it was for me to see Scott Thompson in a drama series (I loved The Kids in The Hall back in the ‘90s, wouldn’t miss it for the world).

I’m not a fan of Anthony Hopkins and after watching Manhunter I found Brian Cox a much better Hannibal Lecter; now I think Mads Mikkelsen is giving those two a run for their money. :D

***
One of the latest DH mag issues I received features one basic sweet yeasted dough turned into several different recipes – they look so beautiful I felt like baking them all, but started with the jam one since it was what I had in my fridge. It was, indeed, a great way to start: these rolls are really simple, yet very delicious.

Raspberry jam rolls
slightly adapted from the always gorgeous Donna Hay Magazine

1 ¼ teaspoons dried yeast
2/3 cup (160ml) whole milk, lukewarm
55g granulated sugar
450g all purpose flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
200g raspberry jam
icing sugar, for dusting

Combine the yeast, milk and a pinch of the granulated sugar in a large bowl and set aside until foamy. Add the flour, remaining sugar, cinnamon, salt, eggs, vanilla and butter and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic (I used my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook for the entire process). Shape into a ball, transfer to a lightly buttered large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Butter a 12-cup muffin pan. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it out onto a 60x25cm (24x10in) rectangle. Spread the jam over the dough leaving a 1cm border. Starting with the longest side facing you, roll the dough tightly to enclose the filling. Cut the roll into 12 slices and place each one of them, cut side up, into the muffin pan. Cover and set aside to prove again for about 40 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
Bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool in the pan over a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully unmold and transfer to the rack. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 12

5 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

These are the prettiest rolls, I love the raspberry jam filling!

"...it better when I make it myself." said...

Hi Pat, nice nice. Forgive me for changing the subject, but I'm planning on doing my first panna cotta this weekend. I browsed through all you panna cotta recipes and for the first time I think I can do it. I had a problem before, especially when it came to gelatin, in powder, like you use. Which do you recommend I do first, you have a couple of methods and proportions there. Thanks and all the best. ela

JackOAllTrades said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Ela, no problem at all! :)
I really like Donna Hay's version - the addition of buttermilk adds a nice tang, and cuts calories back a little (comparing to a version made with cream):
http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/2011/06/rose-water-panna-cotta-with-baked.html
Hope you like it! xx

ela@it's better when I make it myself said...

OK, then that's the one I'll try. Thanks Pat. ela

Related Posts with Thumbnails