Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Blueberry and coconut cake, female directors, a beautiful movie and a versatile actor

Blueberry and coconut cake / Bolo de coco e mirtilos

I believe that the movie industry would be a better place if more women stepped behind the camera: there aren’t many female directors out there, which is a shame. Jane Campion wowed the world twenty years ago with one of my all time favorite movies, and I’m forever in her debt for introducing me to Mark Ruffalo *sigh*. :) Nora Ephron added romance to our lives, Vera Farmiga discussed religion, Kathryn Bigelow makes movies many men would like to make, and Lynne Ramsay gave us one of the best movies of 2011 (with certainly the best acting of that year, the glorious Tilda).

A couple of days ago I watched the beautiful After the Wedding and then I could see how fantastic Susanne Bier is (In a Better World is one of the best movies I have seen in the last ten years, maybe fifteen). Never dull or boring, After the Wedding is a delight to watch – it is well written and well played by a very good cast, and what a breath of fresh air it is to watch actors with crooked teeth, facial hair, lines around their eyes – more “human” than most of people from Hollywood. If that still hasn’t convinced you to watch After the Wedding, Mads Mikkelsen *sigh* plays the lead and delivers another great performance, something completely different from Le Chiffre, Hannibal Lecter, Draco or Ivan (the guy is a chameleon, isn’t he?). Oh, and ladies: there are a couple of scenes in which he is shirtless. Just saying. ;)

Now that I have spent all my convincing cards on the movie I don’t have much left to say to convince you to make this cake; I’ll give you this: it is super tender, it is delicious, and coconut and blueberry are great together – I hope that is enough. :D

Blueberry and coconut cake
slightly adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks (I bought mine here)

200g all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup (2 sticks/226g) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
4 large eggs
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (25g) sweetened flaked coconut
150g blueberries, fresh or frozen (unthawed), dusted with 1 heaping teaspoon all purpose flour
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20x7cm (8x2.8in) cake pan, line the bottom with a circle of baking paper and butter the paper as well.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl. Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla. On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients and coconut and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the blueberries.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 45 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack. Carefully unmold, remove the paper, then turn the cake onto a serving plate. Sift with icing sugar to serve.

Serves 8-10

4 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

What a delicious sounding cake, I love the idea of blueberry and coconut together!

Anonymous said...

Dear Patricia,

Fantastic blog, marvelous recipes, perfect photos! I love your blog and anticipate every day, from Greece, for your new posting!!:-)
Congratulations!!
Is there any possible way can avoid eggs? I know hard but you never know..:-)
Have nice day!
Evi

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

I baked this cake yesterday for a catering job today. The woman who did the set up told me that when she put down the cake she told everyone that it was the only dessert so it needed to last all afternoon. She said that it was eaten in five minutes and people were practically licking their plates. Thank you so much for making me look good. You're the best.

By the way, the instructions say to add vanilla, but vanilla isn't in the ingredient list. I used a teaspoon.

Thank you for your generosity in sharing so many delicious recipes and photographing them to beautifully.

Yours,

Ellen

Patricia Scarpin said...

My dear and lovely Ellen, I am sure that the cake turns out great because you add tons of love to it. I will check the error about the vanilla, thanks for pointing it out.
xoxoxoxoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails