Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Salted peanut blondies and "Wallander"

Salted peanut blondies / Blondies de amendoim salgado

Since I got to the end of the third season of The Killing a couple of days ago – cannot wait for Netflix to launch season four – I needed a new show to follow (I realize that I sound like an addict, but well, I am addicted to TV shows, so there you have it). The idea was to start American Horror Story but I bumped into Wallander and then competition was over because of my love for Sir Kenneth Branagh.

I’m still at the beginning of season 1, but liking it a lot already – Mr. Branagh can do no wrong, he’s a fantastic actor. It’s a crime-drama show, which is always good in my book, and Loki is part of the cast – what’s not to like? :D

When I’m in a hurry and/or uninspired to choose something to bake, I usually resort to brownies; however, lately I’ve been going for blondies instead, for they’re equally easy to make – I’m beginning to think that blondies can do no wrong, especially if they’re freckled with milk chocolate and topped with salted peanuts – yum. :)

Salted peanut blondies
slightly adapted from the beautiful Sweet

2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks/170g) unsalted butter, softened
250g light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
115g milk chocolate, in chips or small chunks
100g salted peanuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) baking pan, line it with foil leaving an overhang on the two long opposite sides and butter the foil as well.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. On low speed, add the dry ingredients ½ cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the chocolate chips and beat until evenly distributed, about 1 minute.
Spread the batter into the prepared baking sheet, smooth the top, then sprinkle with the chopped peanuts. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the edges appear crisp and the top is slightly golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack. Cut into squares or bars to serve.

Makes 32 blondies

7 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I've been on a blondie kick lately too, love the salted peanut topping!

Melody said...

Loved the killing! And I loved Wallander. This winter I also watched Henning Mankell's Wallander on Netflix which I also liked. It is so nice to have a show to look forward to in the evenings, I don't like the transition period between finishing something I like and finding the next gem. I love your reviews, and your baking ideas.

Maxine said...

I've never commented on your blog even though I've followed you for years. I always enjoy all the citris goodies that you try and share with us.

You are absolutely going to love Wallander--actually you already do, don't you?. Like you I think Mr. Branagh is a wonderful actor. I've seen all the shows they have made so far. I'm hoping that Mr. Mankell provides more story lines so more can be made. Have you read the books? Don't read the last one. Mr. Mankell wrote it as a way to sum up the character and what happens to him later in life. It's a downer.

But it's Mr. Branaugh who really makes you love the character.

Lesleyc said...

Patricia, I know you loved the US version of the Killing but it does not equal the Danish version - 3 series and all stupendous. We watched all absolutely enthralled. Wallander, we have watched the Branagh versions, but nothing comes up to the two swedish versions - both very different leading actors. If you get the chance to see the Swedish/Danish production of The Bridge - two series both fantastic, the Belgian series called Salamander we have just watched and loved. Also if you like Homeland, the watch Prisoners of War, the Israeli series that Homeland was based on. We watched the first series and were so hoodwinked/surprised/shocked at the end of the last episode that my husband and I just looked at each other and couldn't speak. Last but not least the French series called Braquo - we watched two episodes per night for a week, unheard of in our house but we were so gripped by it and can also recommend the French series Spirale. BBC4 has taken to showing foreign TV series on a Saturday night and we've grown to love and look forward to them.

Melody said...

Wow Lesleyc, thanks for the reviews,none of my friends like the same TV as I do. I also just watched the Bridge and enjoyed it alot. I will see if I can find the other shows you recommend. Patricia, thanks for the forum, and your baking is very inspirational. I too have been lurking here for some time without commenting, but I love these TV shows! I'll just throw Waking the Dead out there - did anyone love it?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Maxine, Melody and Lesley, you can't imagine how happy I am with your comments! I love, love, love it that you are giving me more TV show ideas - thank you so much!
I'm very interested in "The Bridge" because of Demian Bichir and Diane Kruger, and I loved knowing you liked it, Lesley.

Girls, thank you for taking the time to comment, I deeply appreciate it!
xx

Lesleyc said...

Patricia, If you can see the original Swedish/danish The Bridge. We've found that the Us remakes just don't cut the mustard- the two leads are just wonderful together. We Brits did a remake of it with the French this summer called the tunnel set in the Channel Tunnel - pretty good. But not a latch on the original. There was another French series that we watched, can't remember the title but will try and let you know, it was a rather supernatural series which we don't usually like but again it was excellent. We've also enjoyed Isabel the Spanish series and are currently enjoying the Americans, at least I do but my husband isn't so keen. Have also just discovered The Practice, which is 20 years old and is excellent. Melody, I haven't seen Waking the Dead but will look out for it. Have yet to see Breaking Bad and we also have True Detective in the pipeline. I don't have square eyes but am a bad sleeper!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails