Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Gremolata crusted lamb racks

My dear readers, believe me: although not very nice looking, the lamb was very good - I don't eat red meat but tasted it out of curiosity. It was tender and juicy.
I was very disappointed with my butcher - and told him that - because the piece of meat he sent me wasn't what I was expecting. I had to bone it in order to serve it - I couldn't separate the cutlets

It was easier to get over the faux pas after the guests' compliments. :D
I served the lamb with a parmesan and black olive risotto, but there wasn't any left to take a picture...

This recipe was taken from this book - but I bet you saw that coming!

UPDATE - I made this dish again, with a really good piece of lamb. It was delicious!

Gremolata crusted lamb racks
from Modern Classics 1

30g chopped flat-leaf parsley
25g chopped mint - I omitted because my husband wouldn't eat it
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons salted capers, rinsed and chopped - I used capers in brine
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
80ml olive oil
2 x 375g trimmed racks of lamb*

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Mix the parsley, mint, lemon rind, capers, salt, pepper and oil until well combined. Press the mixture onto both sides of the lamb racks and place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the lamb is cooked to your liking.
Serve with crispy roast vegetables or a simple salad.

Serves 4.

*Ask your butcher to French trim the lamb racks, which involves removing all the fat from the bones.
I bought frozen racks, so I had to trim them myself. :S

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

a very simple yet tempting recipe, I love lamb...so might be making it soon after Xmas...tatter

Anonymous said...

I've never made lamb, but yours looks delicious!

Lauren said...

Your lamb looks so nice! I think the mint would have gone nicely.

Thanks for reading my blog : )

Angel food cake is really worth the time - don't be intimidated!

Anonymous said...

people told me about the blogger account (mine) doesn't work on beta blog (yours). Now I choose "other" to leave comment and finally go through.

Anonymous said...

Pat,
oh I'm still sweating (from all the technical troubles...)
Well, thanks for your lovely roasted lamb comforts me! I roasted lamb once or twice but they didn't turn out nice. Good to see your tip on trimming meat, and the recipe is beautiful! Sure will come back again when I do the roast next time!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Tatter,
It's very tender and that's really important in meats in general (I think so).

Kristen, it was my first time making lamb, can you believe it? :D

Lauren, I wanted to use the mint (since I have it growing out of proportion in my apartment), but my husband wouldn't even try it.
There's no need to thank me: your blog is wonderful! I'm glad you stopped by!

Gattina, this whole beta thing is so boring. I only changed it because I thought it was mandatory.
I'm really glad you insisted and posted again here. You're a doll, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I think that this lamb looks wonderful! I absolutely love capers! I've never cooked lamb before but this recipe makes me want to try!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Nicole, how nice to have your comment here!

I love capers too and I think their flavor lift the dish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails