Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Vanilla sable biscuit

I wanted a good cookie recipe to make for Christmas gifts. I read so many recipes, searched so many websites... I even sent Valentina and Cinara e-mails asking for help. I needed cookies that would stay crunchy longer - and that would also look cute.
I found this recipe - in case you don't know this blog, you should go there now. It's full of good recipes and beautiful photographs.
Jenjen filled her cookies with ganache, but I skipped this part to get fresh cookies for more days. I will certainly try it, though.

I was very happy with the result: they were buttery and delicious, without being overpowering. The recipe didn't call for it, but I used real vanilla extract - a lovely gift from a lovely friend - and the wonderful perfume was all over my kitchen.

Vanilla sable biscuit

450g plain all purpose flour
50g cornflour or cornstarch
400g butter, diced and at room temperature
200g confectioner’s (icing) sugar
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract - optional

Before baking the cookies, preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Sift the flour and cornflour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the butter and sugar.
Work together with your fingertips until no hard lumps remain.
Add the egg yolks, (the vanilla, if using) and salt, drawing in the flour. Work until the dough resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Do not over work the dough.
Roll the pastry into a log and refrigerate for two hours.
Remove from fridge and carefully roll the dough out to a thickness of about 6mm. Cut out desired shapes using a cookie cutter.
Place on lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just golden on the edges.

Makes 85-90 cookies (my cookie cutter is 5cm)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look like such a nice simple cookie... the kind that would be perfect paired with hot cocoa. Delicious choice for your holiday baskets.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

The gift packages are so pretty! Thanks for sharing with us "virtually!" It's almost as good as receiving one!

Jackie said...

Those look great - I've never seen a cookie recipe that uses cornstarch, but they look like they'll be crunchy and still tender (all that butter!)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Kristen, I was thinking of filling them with dulce de leche the next time I bake them - I'll keep you posted!

T.W. , thank you so much! I'm glad you liked them, and so did the people who received them!

Jackie, what a lovely surprise to have your comment here, thanks! I like your blog so much!
They're very buttery - with almost a pound of butter, what could you expect?? Lots of calories, too... lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails