Saturday, December 30, 2006

Baked carbonara

I’m a walking contradiction. Although I don’t eat red meat and can’t stand pork, I love bacon... :D
I’d been meaning to prepare this recipe for quite some time but João (my husband) doesn’t like cream so I always decided to prepare pasta with other types of sauce.
That day I decided to give it a try. After cooking the pasta, I prepared some for him with different ingredients and made the recipe with the remaining pasta. I loved it!
A simple, delicious and quick to put together dish that I’ll be certainly making again.

Baked carbonara
from

400g ziti or fettuccine – I used Barilla's Maccheronci
4 rashers of bacon, chopped
4 eggs
500ml cream
375ml milk - I used low fat

50g grated parmesan cheese
salt
Cook the pasta until al dente; drain.
Cook the bacon until crisp – I always use the microwave oven for this ‘cause the bacon gets crispier this way.
Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, parmesan and salt.

Place the pasta in a 2 liter capacity ovenproof dish and top with the bacon and the egg mixture.
Bake in a pre-heated oven (180ºC) for 30 minutes or until set – my pasta needed 35 minutes in a 200ºC oven.
Serves 4.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! I've never seen ziti like that... very interesting and delicious looking.
What did your husband think?

Gattina Cheung said...

how true! I see no one can resist bacon!
Is it nice to go with red wine (see your bottle)? Today I will have champagne all the way... cheers Pat, happy new year!!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Kristen, I'm glad you liked it!
My husband is a picky eater, unfortunately... He wouldn't even try it. His loss, since I got the entire bowl for myself!

Gattina, I agree with you! I had to resist eating all that crispy bacon before adding it to the pasta!
Have a Happy New Year you too!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I've never seen a recipe for baked Carbonara -- what a great idea! I will have to try this in 2007. Happy New Year, Patricia!

Jackie said...

Mmm, carbonara is my favorite - never seen it baked, though! Guess it's going on the list of recipes to try in 2007. :)

On a related note, I have a couple friends who claim to be "baconarians" - the only meat they eat is bacon!

Tatter said...

Happy New Year...Patricia!

Anonymous said...

Bacon is it's own food group as far as I am concerned.

Anonymous said...

Patricia,

You must have been reading my mind as I've been thinking about making carbonara lately. It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I know a lot of people who don't eat red meat and pork but when it comes to bacon it's a different story. Love the carbonara and that bottle of wine beside it :D.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, T.W., happy new year!
This is a very good recipe - Donna Hay is one of my favorite "foodies". :D

Hi, Jackie, it was my first carbonara and I have to say it's one of my favorites, too, now!

Happy New Year, dear Tatter!

Hello, Peabody, it's great to have you here, tks!! I'll have to agree with you. :D

Hi, Ivonne, how lovely to have your comment here, tks!
I liked this recipe a lot.

Hi, Veron, what a lovely surprise to "see" you around here, tks!
The bottle of wine was my husband's idea. I'll tell him you liked it. :D

Anonymous said...

Yum yum! I don't know when the last time was when I had something like this! Delicious

Happy New Year to you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails