Sunday, December 7, 2008

A big hug, flavored with passion fruit

A big hug, flavored with passion fruit - Passion fruit jellies with banana and honey yogurt

Blogging has several good aspects, and a very important one is meeting great people – and it doesn’t matter if they live around the corner or across the ocean.

The lovely Barbara is one of those people and she’s going through a hard time right now, battling cancer once again. :(

The equally lovely Bron and Ilva organized a virtual hug for Barbara and I’m glad to be a part of it. I hope she likes this fresh and simple dessert, full of fruity flavors.

Barbara, my dear, be sure that there are Brazilian fingers here crossed for you. I know you’ll kick cancer in the ass again.
You might be half a planet away, but are certainly close to my heart.

A big hug, flavored with passion fruit - Passion fruit jellies with banana and honey yogurt

Passion fruit jellies with banana and honey yogurt
slightly adapted from Australian Gourmet Traveller

350ml passion fruit juice*
175ml freshly squeezed orange juice
200g sugar
6 gelatin leaves, softened in cold water
200g yogurt
30g honey
thickly sliced banana, to serve
passion fruit pulp, to serve

Combine juices, sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then pass through a fine sieve. Warm ½ cup juice mixture in a saucepan over medium heat, squeeze excess water from gelatin, add to pan and stir until gelatin dissolves, then add remaining juice mixture. Cool slightly and pour into six 1 cup-capacity glasses and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
To serve, whisk together yoghurt and honey. Top jellies with a spoonful of yogurt, cover with banana slices and spoon over passion fruit pulp.

Note: to make passion fruit juice, blend passion fruit pulp in a food processor to crack seeds, then strain through a fine sieve. Twelve passion fruit yield about 1 cup of juice.

* I used concentrated bottled juice

Serves 6

A big hug, flavored with passion fruit - Passion fruit jellies with banana and honey yogurt

24 comments:

Bron said...

Thank you Patricia, these are sure to lift the mood for any one and envelope them in a hug! A tropical, fresh and inspired dessert and I've always thought of jelly as a wonderful comfort food. Thank you again for joining us! Hugs!

Kalyn Denny said...

A lovely hug. It's so heartwarming to read all the good thoughts for Barbara.

Barbara said...

Patricia this lovely. Thank you. Jelly is one of those things I can eat at the moment. Bryan has been making me packet jelly but I would love your passion fruit jellies. Thank you for your kind words and virtual hug. And a big hug back at you.

Unknown said...

Pat, I love passionfruit jelly. Our passionfruit bush is now just flowering, ready to be mature in Winter. Lovely hug! and hugs to you too.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful (and tasty!) tribute.

Manggy said...

(Another winner from AGT!) You're so sweet, Patricia-- I'm sure Barbara appreciates the virtua-hug and good wishes. I hope she gets through this and with the cancer gone for good.

Snooky doodle said...

Yummy these look so nice. I ;; pray for your friend .

ChichaJo said...

A lovely and delicious hug! Looks so sunny too :)

LyB said...

What a lovely color for a dessert. I especially like the photo with the jellies and the roses, very beautiful. It looks quite comforting. :)

Anonymous said...

Barbara is lovely isn't she? She will love every sip of this!

Anonymous said...

My most favorite fruit! This looks fantastic!

Jen Yu said...

This is such a tantalizing treat, Patricia. Passion fruit - oh boy oh boy :) And all done up in a pretty way for our friend, Barbara. Beautiful hug.

Ilva said...

Beautiful dish, a lovely hug for Barbara! Thank you Patricia for joining in!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Bron, my dear, I'm glad I could join you in such an important cause.
Lots of hugs right back at you!

Kalyn, thank you, darling.

Barbara, I'm so glad to hear you like the jellies. I was hoping you would!
xoxoxooxoxoxox

Arfi, passion fruit is one of my favorites! I love its smell and flavor, its looks. And aren't you lucky to have a passion fruit bush? :D

Sarah, thank you!

Mark, I'm a sucker for those recipes - what a wonderful source Gourmet Traveller is!
Thank you for your words, my friend.

Natalie, thank you, sweetie.

Joey, and passion fruit is so tropical, isn't it?

LyB, Barbara deserved flowers! :)
Thank you, darling.

Cathy, she is! Thank you!

Candace, I love passion fruit, too!
Thank you!

Jen, I'm glad to see you as part of it, too.
xx

Ilva, thank you for the lovely idea.
xx

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I can just imagine the warmth Barbara is feeling right now. These are lovely, Patricia.

Anonymous said...

Patricia, lovely photos and wonderful post! Passion fruit definitely brings smiles to one face as I am sure Barbara was doing when she read this!

Anonymous said...

Patricia, lovely photos and wonderful post! Passion fruit definitely brings smiles to one face as I am sure Barbara was doing when she read this!

Anonymous said...

Patricia, lovely photos and wonderful post! Passion fruit definitely brings smiles to one face as I am sure Barbara was doing when she read this!

Peabody said...

A lovely post for a lovely woman. I am sure she appreciates it.

Anonymous said...

what a thoughtful post about your friend, hopefully she'll go through all the hardship.

Rachel said...

hi there........love to check you site often cause you always have very nice reciepes. I am quite new to blogger and have just started blogging some of my reciepes. So if you want to have a look its www.rachelsfoodheaven.blogspot.com Take care for now :D:D

Deeba PAB said...

This is ever so PRETTY Patricia...& you are truly a wonderful person!

Marysol said...

You're a sweet friend Patricia, and may Barbara feel the warmth and caring thoughts generated by all of her friends here.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and thoughtful post, Patricia. I hope Barbara gets well soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails