Thursday, December 4, 2008

Coconut madeleines

Coconut madeleines

I guess I’m really getting old. Things I did not care for now bore me to death.

I remember when bands and singers came up with a new album – there would be one song to be played (to exhaustion, sometimes) at radio stations, and the musicians would perform this song in TV shows and such. After a while, they would do the same with another song, and that is how things would work.
Now I turn on the radio and there are 10 Rihanna songs going on. If her managers – and Jay Z, for that matter – think this is going to make us love her, it’s not working, At least not for me, because I can’t stand her any more. I want her to take that silly, pretentious video – does she think she is Silverchair? – and go sing somewhere else. Maybe in a rainy place, so she can use her umbrella. :)

But there is something that never bores me – madeleines. And this time I made coconut ones.

Coconut madeleines

Coconut madeleines
from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (140g) unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup (140g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
¾ cup (170g or 1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted an cooled
¾ cup (68g) sweetened shredded coconut

in a large bowl, using a large wire whisk, gently beat the eggs, egg whites, granulated sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.

Sift the flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt together into a medium bowl, then fold into the batter. Finally, fold the melted butter and coconut into the batter until completely smooth. The batter should look fairly thin. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. After chilling, the batter should be thick and very firm.

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 190ºC/375°F. Generously butter two madeleine pans and sprinkle with flour, tapping out the excess. Fill each shell mold with about 1 tablespoon of batter, depending of their size – I filled mine up to ¾ of their capacity, eyeballing it.
Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake until the madeleines are firm and golden brown with a small hump in the center, 10-12 minutes.

Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack, popping them out with the tip of a sharp paring knife, and let cool – it’s important to unmold them right after the oven because they might stick to the pan once cool.

Makes 24

Coconut madeleines

23 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

These look delicious. And you aren't getting old, your ears are getting better! :) Rhianna is so overplayed.

Lisa Smiley said...

I just have to say, your food photography is beautiful! Some of the best around. Did you take a class? So beautiful...thanks for sharing your delicious treats! I love making them when I can!

Manggy said...

Oh, you have to give it to Rihanna: she is definitely very hard-working and at least she's smiling a bit more these days :) Never mind that her voice sounds like it was fed through an IBM PC/AT from 1986.
I'm quite curious as to the texture of these-- sort of a madeleine-macaroon? Delicious!

Brilynn said...

You and Dorie have both just posted about madeleines and I therefore MUST make some tomorrow!

Sarah said...

Yeah, I am NOT a fan of Rihanna. But I am a fan of these madelines. And I have really been craving coconut lately.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I do like her music but agree very overplayed and it gets boring! But I too could never get bored of your madeleines - with coconut just perfect!

Anonymous said...

Really nice food photography. Keep up the good work!

Valentina said...

PAt darling, what a lovely tropical twist to this lovely very European treat. your photos are so stunning...

sunita said...

I too would never be bore of those madeleines of yours...lovely :-)

Anonymous said...

You and me both on the over saturated artists. Ugh!
These, as always, look fantastic. I swear, one of these days I'm going to make madeleines.

Helene said...

The Queen of Madeleines strikes again!! These are just gorgeous Patricia!

Anonymous said...

Coconut? Yum! Sounds real good. Looks real good!

Paz

pam said...

You are better than me, I don't even know the new songs! I really need to get a madeleine pan!!

Anonymous said...

Here Here Patricia! I feel the same way. I can't listen to commercial radio now cause the music is so shocking. A great idea using the coconut. Lovely madeleines as always!

Snooky doodle said...

Oh my!! i m a coconut addict . these surely don t help me to stick to a diet. ha these look great yummy :)

Deborah said...

That is why I don't usually listen to the radio! But I agree, these madeleines would never get turned away!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Food Librarian, she is, isn't she? :D

Lisa, thank you so much for your kind words! I did not take classes, but I do try to look for info on the web!

Mark, she is beautiful and maybe even talented, but she's not being wisely coached, in my opinion... :S
They are madeleines-madeleines, actually. :)

Bri, it's a signal, darling! :)

Sarah, I love anything coconut. :)

Meeta, there are too many singles at once!

Food Photo Blog, thank you!

Tina, thank you, my dear friend.

Sunita, thank you!

Kristen, they are the ones to blame for making us tired of them. :)
I hope you make them!

Helen, my dear, you are too kind!
xoxo

Paz, coconut is always a plus! :D

Pam, hahah, you are too funny. :)

Syrie, you inspired me with yours!

Natalie, I am a coconut addict, too, sweetie! :D

Deb, I'm glad you like these, tks!

Katie said...

These look so good. I can't wait to try to make them.

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious!
And I wouldn't be worried about old. I think you just handed that one to me... as I read, I realised, I don't even know who Rihanna is. I do cookies now, that's about it:)

Anonymous said...

Just when I think you have made every possible variation of madeleines, you come up with something new! As always, these look absolutely delicious.

eatme_delicious said...

Mmmm madeleines + coconut sounds perfect!

eatme_delicious said...

Patricia I just made these and they are SO good! The perfect madeleines - crunchy outsides, moist yummy insides. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!!! I adore the coconut version of these madeleines!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails